Squats

Options
Hi there,
I started Stronglifts about 2 months ago and have noticed since my squat weight has been building that my lower back has been sore and I feel it when I lift. I know that must mean my form isn't quite right but can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks!

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you what is wrong without more info or a video of you actually doing a barbell squat.

ETA: Could be a number of things, but without knowing more, hard to say. Could be that you are collapsing too much on the way up and using your back to bring the bar up after the hips raise. This is forcing you into more of a "Good Morning" than an actual squat.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you what is wrong without more info or a video of you actually doing a barbell squat.

ETA: Could be a number of things, but without knowing more, hard to say. Could be that you are collapsing too much on the way up and using your back to bring the bar up after the hips raise. This is forcing you into more of a "Good Morning" than an actual squat.

I'll double down on this advice.

Other problems it could be without a video:

1. you could lack pelvic tilt forcing you to bend in the lower back instead of hips causing direct pressure to lower back. This is a common problem, especially for women.

2. Hammstring flexability: Your hammstrings can be pulling on your lowerback. Try stretching and strenghing your hammstrings.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the leaning forward, when I was hitting squats with weight that was too heavy for me, I found myself NOT going at least 90 degrees or lower, and was leaning forward on my way up therefore placing alot of the weight on the drive back up on my lower back versus my lower body driving through my heels.

try lowering weight and practicing form.

also yes I agree for a better review, try to record yourself from a side view.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2011/12/22/how-to-increase-squat-depth/

Here is a self-help guide so that you can figure out the "whys" of your squat form. Enjoy!
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will watch the videos and concentrate on what you all have said tomorrow at the gym.

One thing, is the the "wrong thing to do" if I ask a trainer that is there to check my form? I know most people pay them for personal training so it is wrong to ask them to do this for free?
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will watch the videos and concentrate on what you all have said tomorrow at the gym.

One thing, is the the "wrong thing to do" if I ask a trainer that is there to check my form? I know most people pay them for personal training so it is wrong to ask them to do this for free?
    I'm not sure about the ettiquite of it, but be careful who you ask to check your form regardless of whether you pay them or not. Honestly, I'd trust replies to a video posted here more than just about any trainer at my gym. Yes, they get paid to give training advice, but that doesn't automatically mean they know squat form enough to coach you into how to fix something.

At least if you post a video here, the people who know nothing about squat form will probably just avoid the thread altogether, and if any of the advice given happens to be wrong you can be sure there'll be no shortage of people to point that out.