Eating Vegetables: Can you eat too much Veggies?

Options
I officially moved to maintenance a couple months ago. I'm still losing some weight, mostly because I am marathon training and running 70 miles a week. (Approx 90 minutes of exercise in an average day)

But over the last 2 months, I have begun changing my meals and snacking to include more vegetables. Yesterday for instance 405 calories from veggies, and another 140 from fruits. I counted over 15 official "servings" of broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli slaw, sauerkraut, carrots & celery (plus 1 banana and some raw pumpkin) in my diet yesterday. I am avoiding the starchy vegetables such as corn & potatoes, and I am not frying any veggies. Nearly all are eaten raw, although I do include restrictive amount of fat-free dip.

So this has me thinking, almost 1/3rd of my calories are coming from vegetables and fruits. Is that typical? Healthy? The only downside I have experienced seems to be the affects the fiber has had, but I will avoid discussing that further.

Replies

• Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, actually! I eat a lot of vegetables (and plenty of fat/protein to balance them out), but I did think maybe having such high fibre would be problematic. The high fibre isn't having much of an effect on my, er, regularity – I'm +/-1 a day on that front.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    As long as your protein and fat macros have been set up correctly and you are hitting those minimums, you can have as many veggies and fruits as you can fit in your calorie goal.

Eta: Make sure you get some extra water in your system if this is a lot of extra fiber for you...
  • sportsbaab1
    Options
    As my former Weight Watchers leader told us, "Have you ever heard of anyone getting fat from eating too many vegetables?!?" Eat away!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you also hitting your protein and fat requirements? If you are then I wouldn't worry about it. If it is interfering with hitting those macros, then it's too much.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    As my former Weight Watchers leader told us, "Have you ever heard of anyone getting fat from eating too many vegetables?!?" Eat away!!!

I got fat eating vegetables.... Cause I ate too many calories.... And cause I have an amazing ability to pack food in my belly....
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    No, you can't eat too many veggies, if you're hitting your protein and fat macros as well.

But I will say, you state that a lot of the portions were raw. I'd be careful with that - you can overload your digestive system, as raw veggies are more difficult to digest and you could get quite sick (vomiting and cramping). Peppers, broccoli and green beans can be quite bad.)

(I did the same thing a few years ago - spent a couple of days throwing up everything and now I still can't eat too many salads in a week. But that's okay, I just cook my veg instead.)
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well by the very definition of the word "too much" then sure, you probably can, but it would be hard to do. I'm pretty sure you'd feel really sick when you hit the too much point. Vegetables are nice because they are low in calorie density so much away is what I say! Now if for some reason you seem to be having issues losing weight or something then for sure look at just how many calories you are getting from vegetables.
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can't get fat on vegetables unless you count potato chips! :smile:

But seriously, as long as you stick to non-starchy veg, you be fine.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OMG - After yesterday I think the answer is "yes." It was my first day on fitnesspal, after indulging in calorie-dense foods for way too long, so I decided to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables all day. I had a banana, some fresh strawberries, 5 baby carrots, a cup of raw cauliflower, an apple, a raw celery stick, and a bowl of steamed kale. My intestines did NOT know what hit them! LOL I woke up at 2:00am with gas and abdominal pain so bad. I know that it won't be a problem going forward - it was just a bit too radical. Today I'm fine, and hungry. But I plan to stick to my allotted calories if I can stay strong!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The only problem I can envisage is that too much fibre might carry food through your system too quickly for some of the slower releasing nutrients to be absorbed? I don't know if this is the case but I'm sure I've heard it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, anything TOO extreme is bound to have consequences ......

I absolutely LOVE veggies ....... hope you don't feel you can only eat them raw ........ be sure to roast them with a bit of olive oil & seasonings ........ sautee with a bit of oil or broth ...... steam ...... or add to soups & stews.

Make sure you get enough protein as well :drinker:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    bump
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Call up a friendly GI doctor and ask them. Given your medical issues, if any, the GI would be the best person I feel would know. IMHO, I hope not as I prefer to munch on carrots all day and eat big plates of salad in leau of eating starches.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    For me, it's only too much if it makes me feel over full or bloated. Of course I can fart and that helps to reduce it some.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • divedo
    divedo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you where going over your calories or macros with loads of veg or fruit it would only then become a problem. On the health aspect, I'm veggie and i have never had any medical professional tell me " you should cut back on your veggies your health is suffering" . The only thing i would say is that if you are doing a lot of training you need to keep on top of your fats/pro to make sure you stay fuller for longer.
  • chrisburns7
    chrisburns7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are some GREAT documentaries to watch regarding the nutritive value of fruits and veggies -- "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" & "Forks Over Knives". I think everybody should watch them -- they are VERY Motivational!!. We don't eat NEARLY enough vegetables -- NO WAY to eat too many! Also do some research on Dr. Furhman -- very interesting nutritional information.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    In try to eat a 1/2 lb raw and 1/2 pound cooked veggies every day and to 2-3 servings fruit. Eat to live by Dr. Joel fuhrman md
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat too many carrots you'll turn orange. So there's that, lol.

Nah I don't think there's any harm in eating lots of vegetables all the time. Vegetarians and vegans live by it.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Broccoi, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale effect the thyroid, I suggest u google it I had to cut back on these especially raw.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat too many carrots you'll turn orange. So there's that, lol.
    I know a guy to whom this happened.

He didn't exactly turn orange, but his complexion was... visibly off. Let's leave it at that.