Best way to log hospital food?

Options
I've been in the hospital since yesterday, and I really don't know how/what to log for what I have been eating. I know this isn't really a priority, but I have NOTHING better to do while I sit here bored out of my mind. Think it's cool to ballpark off of stuff at home or brand names from the store?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If your ill enough to be in Hospital I really wouldn't worry about logging food. Get Better then get home and carry on from there
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You could always ask a dietician to help you with the calorie counts for the meals you've been getting. Ask your nurse/aide to call, or get the number for food service for you, so you can call and talk to someone. They do know the calorie counts for the food they make.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If your ill enough to be in Hospital I really wouldn't worry about logging food. Get Better then get home and carry on from there

Agreed.
  • bradXdale
    Options

Agreed.

That

but honestly if you still care to log I would just choose the most generic or closest thing to what you are actually eating.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    THe hospital likely farms out their cafeteria to some company like Sodexo or Eurrest. Ask the nurse what company they use and MFP may have lots of the stuff.

If you can't find it, ask the nurse for the # to the dietician/nutritionist, When I was in for a stroke in 2012 they kept track of every bite they served me with the calories, carbs, sodium etc. Just tell her your room # and name and she should have all the info on file... at the very least you could do a 'quick add'.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    THe hospital likely farms out their cafeteria to some company like Sodexo or Eurrest. Ask the nurse what company they use and MFP may have lots of the stuff.

If you can't find it, ask the nurse for the # to the dietician/nutritionist, When I was in for a stroke in 2012 they kept track of every bite they served me with the calories, carbs, sodium etc. Just tell her your room # and name and she should have all the info on file... at the very least you could do a 'quick add'.

That's good to know for the future!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options

This. Focus on getting well, that's what is most important. You can always log when you get out of the hospital.
    I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've been in the hospital since yesterday, and I really don't know how/what to log for what I have been eating. I know this isn't really a priority, but I have NOTHING better to do while I sit here bored out of my mind. Think it's cool to ballpark off of stuff at home or brand names from the store?

Did people not actually read the OP?

I'd ask the hospital staff. In theory, they should know exactly what you're getting.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Sweet thanks so much!

Did people not actually read the OP?

I'd ask the hospital staff. In theory, they should know exactly what you're getting.

I love you, even though you don't know it. ;)

And to everybody else...
    I'm on isolation with MRSA. I'm not dying or anything. I really have no contact with anybody, and I'm confined to ONE room that I can't leave. Logging calories is seriously giving me something to do beyond the crap on TV and internet games.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Wow. If you logged consistently prior to your illness, does this mean you never estimated your food? So many of my lunches are estimated because I do not cook them. I just estimate based on restaurant equivalents I have had in the past or based in meals I myself have prepared. But I am impressed if you log that accurately!

And hey, I don't know about being bored, but no way in heck am I losing my logging streak unless I was unconscious in the hospital!! :laugh:
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Definitely this. Get well soon xx
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This - most definitely. Eat what they bring you because your body needs proper fuel to heal, especially if it's fighting an infection. Feel better.
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is the dietician's job to keep track of these things. Give them a call. Most of all, get well soon!
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow. If you logged consistently prior to your illness, does this mean you never estimated your food? So many of my lunches are estimated because I do not cook them. I just estimate based on restaurant equivalents I have had in the past or based in meals I myself have prepared. But I am impressed if you log that accurately!

And hey, I don't know about being bored, but no way in heck am I losing my logging streak unless I was unconscious in the hospital!! :laugh:
    Unless I go out to dinner or order from a local restaurant, I have all of the calorie info for what I eat from home. I usually don't buy on a whim, and I usually measure out my food at home when I make it. It's not hard and I got used to it. Local restaurants are the only things without readily available info.

I also have no restriction in my diet, so a dietician is not making my meals. I just pick from a menu of crap what I feel like eating. I did ask for my nurse to ask the dietician earlier today maybe for just estimates on calories for what I have been choosing to eat and so far she hasn't heard back. I'll assume they have more important/sicker cases to deal with so I don't care much. I just estimate on here from those earlier mentioned hospital brand names, or something similar.

I'm usually content after they bring me a meal, but then I get munchie cravings a couple of hours later, so my family brought me a few snacks and some Gatorade.

And thanks for the well wishes! I came in on ER Friday, was sent home, then admitted Sunday morning. I was told I get to go home tomorrow, YAY! And as bad as this sounds, I am first taking a scalding hot shower for at least 45 minutes............ and then I am eating some disgusting greasy pizza and garlic knots. Mainly because the food here is so bland that my tastebuds need some rewards after starving myself since Thursday.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Real food FTW!!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Not fun! Get better, go home safely, enjoy a treat and then back on track.:flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The one time I was hospitalized I remember logging my food in the bin, just beside the bed......j/k Seriously I doubt you need to worry about that right at the moment.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hope you are much better soon!