What Should I Weigh? (Building Bigger Muscle)

Options
2»

Replies

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! And just for the record, I don't put much faith in the BMI charts (the one I used was online, so who knows it's validity), especially since I'm planning to add bigger muscle into the equation. The reason I work on my abs and midsection is because that is where most of the fat on my body is. I don't have a lot, I can see my upper abs at the right angle, but I do have a little stubborn pudge. I'd personally like to shed that and build up muscle simultaneously, but I suspect that I need to do one before the other. Would it be easier to build muscle with less fat for the body to burn (i.e., lose the fat first)?

Current thinking is that being between 10% and 15% body fat is ideal for muscle building (for men). I have a 4-pack at 16-18% BF, so abs sometimes don't tell the whole story. If possible, try to get a baseline body fat measurement. Also, the guys over at the bodybuilding website are really good at estimating body fat level if you care to post a pic for them to evaluate. They can also guide you on whether your first step should be to cut or bulk based on current body composition.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I could use some help with weight gain, I'm having a real hard time of it. I.m pretty sure it's my diet. I'm on a 3000 cal, 150 g protein diet, but I avoid carbs, sugars and starches. I'm having a hard time getting over 155. I'm 49, 6' with little to no body fat. I don't avoid fats, I'm ok with that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

You're not eating enough.

I eat almost that much and I"m a girrrrllllllllll. Moar carbs- more ice cream- moar milk.
    It is the next step beyond looking good naked.

0) Obese
    1) Overweight
    2) Slim in clothes
    3) Look good naked
    4) Look like you work out, in clothes

Each step is exponentially more difficult than the previous step.

Indeed-we've talked about that before- it's funny- I always new how hard this was- but the more I do it- the harder I realize it is. Oh well- press on.
    I have decent shoulder structure- and obviously the whole butt thing- but both of those can be attributed to genetics rather than hard work- I kind of happen to love living in my workout clothes for that reason- it's that mid step- like 3.5 LOL- it's not naked- and it's not regular clothes. Also way more comfie- less fit issues. spandex/lyrca is amazing- suit slacks- not so much. :(