Daily Routine - Do/Should You Log?

Options
Just a quick question. Just wondered if you do/should include any daily routine exercise on MFP?
For example, I make a 10-minute walk twice a day, every work day. This is part of my normal routine.
I don't log this currently in MFP, but wondered (because my normal activity level is marked down as 'sedentary') if I should? I don't log things like walking round shops or places of interest either, only swimming and gym exercise, or a proper intended walk outdoors.
What do you all do?

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You would probably be considered lightly active if you do a fair amount of walking/standing on your typical day. Some people log things like cleaning, cooking but I consider those a part of normal daily activity, not exercise.
  • rachellleanne
    Options
    If I were you I'd probably change my activity level to 'lightly active'. That would include your daily walks to work, then you could continue to log any other exercise that isn't part of your daily routine. That's what I do anyway!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you, simply. Try a few approaches, then do whatever is working out best for you.

I work in an office 8-5 and I'm not active enough during the work day to consider myself "lightly active". One or two days each week I find myself getting up 10X in an hour, several hours of the day, and walking a lot, carrying boxes, etc. But that's not my typical work day. So I am set to "sedentary" and on those days I log stuff like 5 min moving boxes and 10 min walking.

If I go to the supermarket on my way home from work and am in/out in 15 minutes I don't log anything. If I load the dishwasher, feed the cat, and straighten the living room for 10 min I don't log anything.

If I go to Target, dry cleaner's, 4 other stores, and walk around a huge antique mall/flea market and I'm out running those errands for 2-3 hours I will wind up logging 60 min walking leisurely pace.

If I go to the mall with my husband primarily for the purpose of walking, stay for 90 minutes and do a couple of miles of laps around the mall but also make a quick stop in at TJ Maxx to look around and stop to get a beverage or snack, I will log 60 min walking leisurely pace.

If I walk for 30 minutes outdoors for exercise in workout gear with headphones blasting good music and really get my heart rate up, I will log 30 minutes walking moderate pace.

If I clean the entire house top to bottom for 2 solid hours and vacuum for 15 minutes of that time, I usually log "60 min light cleaning" and "15 minutes heavy cleaning"

This is just what works for me.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I would. I have a fitbit and it tracks everything for me daily then it talks to myfitnespal and takes it out of my daily calories so I always know where I am.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would. I have a fitbit and it tracks everything for me daily then it talks to myfitnespal and takes it out of my daily calories so I always know where I am.

This is my approach as well. I don't log these miscellaneous things usually and rely on my activity tracker to account for them. I find this to be a pretty good solution. I would probably go insane trying to figure this out on my own and am really glad I have a FitBit. It's not the cure-all tool for weight loss, but it is a good tool to supplement MFP.
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't log daily activities because, in my opinion, it's better to underestimate the amount of exercise you're doing than overestimate.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, some useful info there.
    I like the look of Fitbit but not sure I would get the use out of it for the expense.
    Stanleypoobri I'm like you and don't log it as it kinda feels like cheating and would rather underestimate.
    I might change to lightly active as I'm stepping up at work and on my feet more at the moment. I'll try a few ways and see what works :)
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lightly active and don't log my everyday walking. I walk my children to school and back sometimes 3-4 times a day if they have clubs. I also have quite an active job. I do use a fitbit though which takes that into account. I only log my intentional exercise.