Work FT, have Toddler, need to exercise...

pinkvici
pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
Any buddies out there?

The support on here is fantastic, and I can't thank my MFP buddies enough!

I'm looking for a buddy who can relate - working FT (very stressful job!), and have a 17 month old toddler to look after.

Bit of background: I leave the house 8am, get home around 6pm after collecting little one from
Daycare. My little one is amazing and sleeps 7pm until 7pm 99% of the time. Hubby and I normally get dinner together about 7.45pm and then chill out - I'm trying to decide whether to exercise then (probably around 9pm), or egg up early (5.30am?), and train then?

I love Jillian Michaels so have loads of her DVDs and our garage has plenty of gym equipment - spin bike, kettle bells, weights etc.

Looking for inspiration and motivation!!!!

ETA I currently weigh 138lbs, I'd like to lose a further 7-14lbs, but really need to tone up!

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Hey, I work full time and have a 2 year old. I manage to exercise 6-7 days a week. My son also sleeps from 7-7 (how lucky are we!!) - I will either exercise at lunch time at my work (im fortunate enough to work in an army base so I have the facilities) or I will get up at 6am (very rarely) or I will work out as soon as I put my son to bed and reward myself with dinner afterward! You really just have to make the time. Add me if you want some support :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    I don't work full time but I have three kids from 5 years old to 5 months old. I hope you find something that works for you. My best tip is to get your workout clothes out early (the night before if you are going to workout in the AM or before you leave if you are going to workout later in the day). When you just get your workout clothes on, it's harder to not just get your workout done. Good luck!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    I have 6 kids... the little 3 are 4 years, just turned 2, and 8 months. Its busy but you can do it!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    I work out in the morning, 5:30) so I can be an active part of family life the rest of the day.

Nothing ever gets in the way of a 5:30 workout. If I defer it to evening ... its at risk of kids or wife needing me.

Good luck!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Hi! I am also a full time working mom with a 13 month old. She sleeps 9 pm to 6 am most nights without fail. When I get home from work every day I am done for the day, so I get up at 4:30 am to make time for exercise, showering, dressing, minimal makeup and a few minutes for a cup of coffee before she wakes up and we have breakfast together. I know if I don't do it first thing in the morning I won't do it at all!
  • pinkvici
    Thank you all - you're amazing!!! I think I'm definitely going to aim to workout in the mornings. Maybe I'll try for 2 mornings and 1 evening a week and go from there!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    I'm Jealous of your toddlers sleep. Mine are not asleep until 9 and the other its sometimes 10! (he has issues we are working on) They are 4 and 6. I leave at 8 and get home at 6:30.

I've started working out in the AM because of the said bedtimes. I'm up by 5:30.

Welcome!!! You can do it!
    I love doing DVD's also. it just an easy way to start the day
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I work full time and have two kids that I raise on my own. I go to the gym and workout on my lunch hour.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    I'm an early riser and believe that it "jumpstarts" my metabolism for the rest of the day. It also starts my day off on a good note. If I workout at night, I can't sleep for the next 4 hours. Late night workouts always run the risk of being canceled out by a sh*tty day.
  • pinkvici
    Thanks everyone.

It's impossible for me to workout at lunch so it has to be early morning or late evening. It's very inspiring to see that you all manage it (and makes me feel I need to man up!!!) xxx
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Totally feel your pain, I also work FT and have a toddler (she just turned 3). I've learned that for me at least, I have to workout in the morning. Preferably before my husband and daughter are awake (hence no guilt over the "me time"). I've tried waiting until the end of the day but by then I am so exhausted that I tend to excuse my way out of it.
  • queenjane1023
    queenjane1023 Posts: 24 Member
    I work FT and have an almost 4 year old. I get up and go to bootcamp at 530am. I find that it wakes me up and gives me better energy for the rest of the day. It's not for everyone, but I've been doing it a few years now.