Why am I not loosing weight?

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am eating super healthy (I am following a vegan diet) and working out 3- 4 times a week. I have not lost a lb. I am eating 1200 calories a day. I am 5' 6" and 183lbs I have 19% body fat. I am loosing inches but not weight. Please help...

I believe that 19% is off, unless you are very very muscular
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    As weird as it sounds, you may not be eating enough! When I started, I was sticking to the 1,200-1,400 calorie range. I was gaining - I went from 179 to 190. I've bumped my calories up to 1, 500 or I simply just eat super healthy until I feel full. Since I've started doing that, I'm losing around 2-3 pounds weekly.
    Sorry but you didn't gain 10 lb eating too little. That defies science.

Actually it doesn't smarty pants. You have no idea what the rest of the picture entails. If she were eating too low, her caloric expenditure probably went way down due to a lack of energy. When she increased her calories, her TDEE most assuredly went up due to increased NEAT and NEPA as well as improved workouts no doubt. You can't take half of the picture and assume you know exactly what's going on.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    I had the exact same problem and it was driving me crazy. Then I cut the sodium in my diet down and all the weight came off in a week. An entire 2 months of dieting in 1 week. It was pretty crazy to watch the scale go down that fast.

That would most likely be water weight. If she already avoids processed foods, this wont help her.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    As weird as it sounds, you may not be eating enough! When I started, I was sticking to the 1,200-1,400 calorie range. I was gaining - I went from 179 to 190. I've bumped my calories up to 1, 500 or I simply just eat super healthy until I feel full. Since I've started doing that, I'm losing around 2-3 pounds weekly.

Actually it doesn't smarty pants. You have no idea what the rest of the picture entails. If she were eating too low, her caloric expenditure probably went way down due to a lack of energy. When she increased her calories, her TDEE most assuredly went up due to increased NEAT and NEPA as well as improved workouts no doubt. You can't take half of the picture and assume you know exactly what's going on.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am eating super healthy (I am following a vegan diet) and working out 3- 4 times a week. I have not lost a lb. I am eating 1200 calories a day. I am 5' 6" and 183lbs I have 19% body fat. I am loosing inches but not weight. Please help...

19% BF?? Seems hard to believe at 5"6" and 183 pounds unless you are a competitive body builder and solid muscle. I would check that measurement at a fitness club.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options

A vegan diet isn't necessarily "super healthy" and has no bearing on whether or not you gain or lose fat. You have to balance your cals in/cals out and also make sure you are eating enough to support you daily activity. And I agree with the fact that you bf% above seems majorly off.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options

Thank goodness you are here to educate me. Thank you for that.

Aren't you a peach! You're very welcome my dear :)
  • wilsoje74
    Options

• BrookeTodd13
    BrookeTodd13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest get a scale if you don't already have one to weigh out your food. Also a heart rate monitor so you know exactly how many calories you burn and can eat back. This has helped me so much!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try alternating your calorie intake in a way that your net intake for the week hits your target. Worked for me and I am 5'7" and about to go under 150.

1400 one day, 1150 the next, 1500 the next day...etc.....eat your veggies, lay off starchy carbs so you expel the water and see what happens.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem aswell! I came on here and got a whole load of negative feedback and felt disheartened! But one person was really nice and said to measure myself and not give up!
    So I did! And 2 weeks later the scale hadn't moved but I'd lost a whole inch off my tummy!! I have kept going and the inches have been coming off slowly.
    Last week, after 2 months of being at the same weight I finally lost 0.4kg!! And this week 0.6kg!! Nothing has changed that I've been doing (calories and exercise etc) but obviously my body is finally feeling I deserve a weight loss! I

So my advice to you is. Stay positive and don't give up! Go and take some measurements and track them, also photos are good too! Keep exercising and weigh your food . You will get there :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your math is wrong somewhere.

Fix your math.

Lose weight.

That about sums it up.

If you open your diary, I'm sure a few folks would be able to give useful feedback.
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you measured inches? Muscle weighs more than fat so you may actually be losing fat but putting on muscle. When I start weight training hard I always gain 3-4 pounds before loosing any even if I lose inches.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Have you measured inches? Muscle weighs more than fat so you may actually be losing fat but putting on muscle. When I start weight training hard I always gain 3-4 pounds before loosing any even if I lose inches.
    ..no.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ..no.

If your going to say no give n explanation!!
    Because I agree as I gained muscle and weight didn't move in first 2 weeks!
  • melissaraycrane
    Options
    Make sure to eat enough calories. Also, perhaps through strength training you are gaining a bit of muscle weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You don't gain muscle "in 2 weeks".
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ..no.

No. Because 'Impossible'.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

not mean to hijack the thread, but I want to hug you....
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    ..no.

You can't gain any remarkable amount of muscle in a calorie deficit. It's not easy to gain muscle mass, especially if you're a woman, especially 3 - 4 pounds worth. You can gain strength and muscle endurance without gaining actual muscle.

When you start a new exercise program, your muscles will likely store water while they repair themselves. Water is heavy and can easily account for a temporary gain of a few pounds.