No workout today but I miss it

Options
For months I've been trying to get myself back into a regular routine. I'd have a couple of good days and then slack off for one reason or another. Lately I've been more regular, getting in calisthenics and weight lifting in the morning and a stationary bike ride at night, about 45 minutes for each.

Last night I was looking forward to this morning's workout, then started wondering how long it's been since a day off. It's been eight days. That part's good, but I figured I'd better take a rest day today.

So I'm sitting this one out, reluctantly. Besides missing the exercise, I also miss the extra calories I normally get to eat.

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You don't have to take a day off
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't?

I should have posted this last night.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting every day???
  • fitandGLAM
    Options
    I posted recently how I wasn't very keen on taking off days. However I was informed our bodies really need a day to rest and apparently rest days are "when the magic happens". Maybe go for a walk/do some stretching ? So many people have suggested an off day to me once a week, and I do find i have more energy the next day when I resume my work outs. (Just what other people have told me) ... Before I was told that I was trying to work out 7days a week
  • jim180155
    Options
    Cupcake, upper body one day, core & lower body the next. Most of the exercises are with body weight only. On the upper body day I'm also using dumbells for presses, curls, rows, flys, etc.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You should not lift everyday (with same muscle groups) but you can walk or do yoga or bike etc every day. If I had time I'd work out daily and on my rest days do yoga or go for a long walk.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Maybe I'll ride my bike tonight.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    you're not alone. I normally didn't take a day off at all and I was fine with it.. now that I work in a different town, I can't workout every morning before going to work. i'm a year round commuter so I still ride my bike to/from the train station but only get to work out every other week and it's killing me... i'm just lucky that i'm in the maintain my weight mode and not the loosing weight part of life.. best thing is listen to your body.
  • jim180155
    Options
    My body is saying GET OFF YOUR BUTT YOU LAZY SLACKER!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    My body is saying GET OFF YOUR BUTT YOU LAZY SLACKER!!!

WELL THEN GET AT IT!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Cupcake, upper body one day, core & lower body the next. Most of the exercises are with body weight only. On the upper body day I'm also using dumbells for presses, curls, rows, flys, etc.

Hmmmm, I guess if you're not doing full body every day it's ok, but if you start feeling burned out and like you don't love your workouts anymore, that's your body telling you that you need a rest day.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    consider an active rest day such as a slower paced walk or a fun activity. I believe the book Younger next year mentioned this.
  • jim180155
    Options
    consider an active rest day such as a slower paced walk or a fun activity. I believe the book Younger next year mentioned this.

I think that sounds like the right approach. Until the weather gets warmer, that's probably going to mean a nice, easy bike ride in my basement.