Carbohydrates.

Options
I'm not entirely sure what carbohydrates are. What are they? Should they be limited in your diet? What happens if you go over your daily amount of carbohydrates. What will it do? Can someone please clarify?? Thanks in advance. I always find myself in the negative carbohydrates at the end of the day. It's really hard to not go over them! Any recommendations on types of food to avoid or to eat to aid in getting my daily calories but avoiding the carbs if they're so bad?? I find myself In the negative carbohydrates at the end of the day and I still haven't consumed my 1500 calories! :(

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    carbs = sugars (well, fiber too if you're talking total carbs)

Carbs are in bread, fruit, cookies, carrots, yogurt, soda, ice cream...I could go on and on.

If you are going over your carbs but stay within your calories I wouldn't worry too much, however that means you aren't eating your fats and/or proteins.

Up your protein/fat intake...that'll get you to your calorie goal and will lower what you calories are left for carbs if you're concerned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You have three macro-nutrient categories. Carbs/Fat/Protein. If it's not a fat and not a protein, it's a carbohydrate.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    carbs are essentials they are found in fruits , veggies ,grains, legumes ... etc

SUPER SIMPLY PUT:

there is complex carbs and simple carbs

Simple carbohydrates are also called simple sugars and are chemically made of one or two sugars. A simple sugar can be just what the name implies, the sugar in your sugar bowl. Things like candy, syrups, and soda pop are also straightforward examples of simple carbs. They are absorbed quickly -- just think how fast sugar-based candy melts in your mouth.

Simple carbs also include foods such as fruit and milk. These are better sources of simple carbs because they contain vitamins and fiber, and also important nutrients that your body needs, like calcium.

Complex carbohydrates are also known as starches and are made of three or more linked sugars. Grains such as bread, pasta, oatmeal and rice are complex carbs, as well as some vegetables like broccoli, corn legumes such as kidney beans and chick peas. They take the longest to digest.

stay away as much as possible from the ones that has been processed if you are seeking weightloss but please dont stop eating those delicious fruits/veggies and tasty good carbs
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what carbohydrates are. What are they? Should they be limited in your diet? What happens if you go over your daily amount of carbohydrates. What will it do? Can someone please clarify?? Thanks in advance. I always find myself in the negative carbohydrates at the end of the day. It's really hard to not go over them! Any recommendations on types of food to avoid or to eat to aid in getting my daily calories but avoiding the carbs if they're so bad?? I find myself In the negative carbohydrates at the end of the day and I still haven't consumed my 1500 calories! :(

Carbs are not good or bad. They are a good source of energy. However, some people need to "watch" their carbs ......diabetics, for example. If you have medical issues then you should monitor your carb intake.

When you eat at a calorie deficit you need to get the most nutrition as you can (make it count).....protein is very important, fat is very important.....carbs are what is left over.

Carbs get a bad rap because so many are high calorie with little nutrional value..............ie: highly processed junk food
    But, fruit is not junk food, and it certainly has carbs. Oats and other whole grains are not junk food.... those have carbs too.