Have to give up bread, HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Almond flour is delish and is available online. We get it from vitacost. My wife had to ditch normal breads when she had gest. diabetes and now it's all we eat!!!

I second almond meal. Trader Joes carries it!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    They do sell gluten free bread but I'm not sure what it tastes like. If you want to try to make your own you can use a combination of brown rice/quinoa/oat/ tapioca flours. play around and see what works. You would need to add agave syrup in place of your sugar or honey because it doesn't spike insulin like regular sugar does. And you would also need to invest in some xanthan gum (you can buy it in natural food stores) basically, it acts as the gluten would in the bread.

Quinoa is a lot like rice and it doesn't hurt your blood sugar so give that a try. You can make salads with it, put it in veggie burgers etc. Good Luck!! :D
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with lettuce wraps. They can get a little messy depending on what your eating.
    Corn tortillas work if they aren't too thin.
    I found after cutting out bread, pasta, etc I felt so much better ! It was worth it.
    Once in awhile I will try to eat a sandwich or burger and end up pulling all the bread off after a couple bites.
    You will not miss it once you eliminate it. Might take a week or two.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My ex-fiancee had PCOS, so I can sympathize. Instead of trying to find a bread-like substitute, I would suggest just to forgo it all together. Lent is coming up, so try going without bread for the 40 days of Lent. It might be hard, at first, but you will overcome it. Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    The traditional Asian diet is rice and vegetable based.
    What they said. Rice is gluten free and as a vegetarian who can't have wheat (which is what a huge part of the vegetarian diet is built upon) it will be your new best friend. As it turns out most gluten free products are made with rice. Or corn. Oh yeah and how could I forget about sweet potatoes and yams. All the winter squashes for that matter. Yummy and highly nutritious!
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free should help you tremendously. I have PCOS and celiac. When I went gluten free, my period went from being nonexistent to coming every 6 weeks. I highly recommend going gluten free to anyone with PCOS. It doesn't hurt to try.

I eat one slice of gluten free toast every morning. I still feel great. For the rest of my meals I have rice, chickpeas, potatoes and popcorn for carbs. I also eat red meat, chicken and fish for protein. I feel amazing eating this way.

Good luck!!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps, cabbage rolls, spagetti squash, zucini pasta.
    Also chick pea flore, soy flour ( high in protein)
    Rice instead of pasta....
  • ellagetsfitnow
    Options
    Great ideas everybody, looks like i have a whole bunch of experimenting to do in the near future.

Thanks!