Eating 5-6 small meals a day...Who else does this?

Replies

• 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    It's great that everyone has an opinion about nutrition. I find that I enjoy conversations better when people share their own philosophies and behaviors than when folks simply chime in on other people's ideas and plans, unsolicited. The power of the "I" statement cannot be underestimated.

So, how are the folks who *are* choosing to eat multiple times a day planning for these meals? What are you eating, how do you feel, what have you tweaked along the way?
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    I am doing it right now... It has only been a week and a half so I don't know if it is paying off yet.. but I hope so.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I do, but not because I think it's going to improve my results beyond what it does to help me stay within my calorie goals. I tend to plan multiple snacks into my day because I'm a boredom snacky eater, and if I plan for them then I'm more likely to hit up the vending machine for something that's going to put me 300+ calories over my goal. Beyond any boost it may or may not give you in terms of staying satisfied, it's not going to increase your weight loss over where you would land if you ate all of your calories in a 6 hour window each day (which a good number of people actually do and achieve stellar results).

A typical day (so 90% of workdays) is coffee with half and half and sugar for breakfast, fruit and string cheese at about 10:30, salad with some sort of protein for lunch at 12-1, yogurt and nuts or a Kind bar or something in the afternoon, dinner of whatever the fam is having (typically protein and veggie heavy), and then something after dinner depending on if I'm feeling salty or sweet.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    I do, but not because I think it's going to improve my results beyond what it does to help me stay within my calorie goals.

I don't think anyone said it worked any other way. That IS the benefit of eating more, smaller meals.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    DH and I do. Eating small meals more often keeps us full and we don't over eat.

My typical day is:
    7:45 ish Meal 1 - Breakfast
    10:00 Meal 2 - Snack bar (Clif, Kind, Laura Bar, Luna bars..etc. I reach in and grab one)
    12-1 Meal 3 - Lunch
    4-4:30 Meal 4 - Another snack bar or smoothie
    6-7 - Meal 5 Dinner

We started doing this when we started the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan. It was hard doing at first but just like anything you do something long enough and it takes root. It's hard for us to go off our meal plan. We have issues at church because right when we're use to having our snack we're in worship service and unable to eat. We're STARVING when church is out. It was a shock to us to find out just how much missing one meal can make us feel. Even if that meal is a handful of nuts!
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    I do, but not because I think it's going to improve my results beyond what it does to help me stay within my calorie goals. I tend to plan multiple snacks into my day because I'm a boredom snacky eater, and if I plan for them then I'm more likely to hit up the vending machine for something that's going to put me 300+ calories over my goal. Beyond any boost it may or may not give you in terms of staying satisfied, it's not going to increase your weight loss over where you would land if you ate all of your calories in a 6 hour window each day (which a good number of people actually do and achieve stellar results).

Thanks for this, BarbieAS, though you may have meant it differently than I'm reading it. Maybe that's the thing--satisfaction, satiety, "ease of use." I agree with the notion that there's no singular "magic bullet." And to my thinking, if breaking out meals into smaller portions across the day helps keep folks from getting desperate and snarfing junk just to stave off feelings of hunger...then it "works."

I think it's about each of us paying close attention to our own lifestyles, emotions, and patterns--and adjusting where we can see the greatest benefit. I know that for myself, paying closer attention to what I'm eating by planning ahead and availing myself of smart food choices when I want to eat helps me to flow easily through the day without feeling pressed about food. Eating more than three times a day allows me to break out of that learned mindset that "3 square meals" is the "right" way to eat. My lifestyle and my current eating preferences don't suit that kind of eating.

So maybe the OP's friend DID lose weight *because* of her 5-6 small meals a day, because eating that way helped her pay more attention to her food choices and avoid that feeding frenzy that can set so many of us back. Maybe there's no metabolic magic to it, but it's still meaningful behavior change.

I find all of this so interesting, how we each come to find our own paths to wellness and how that path changes as we keep on the journey. Thanks for the food for thought!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I do this just because it works for me. I like to be shoving food into my mouth quite often. If it works for you (aka, it helps you feel full and stick to your goals) then that's great. If it doesn't then don't worry about it too much.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    The amount of meals per day that will be optimal is really up to you. I choose to do between 2-4 meals, but somebody may prefer once a day or 8 times a day.
  • BarbieAS
    I do, but not because I think it's going to improve my results beyond what it does to help me stay within my calorie goals.

I don't think anyone said it worked any other way. That IS the benefit of eating more, smaller meals.

There's a common misconception that eating frequently "keeps the metabolism moving faster" or some such. It's thrown around with a very high degree of frequency as an (THE) advantage of eating frequently. I was referencing that, though I didn't do it explicitly.
    So maybe the OP's friend DID lose weight *because* of her 5-6 small meals a day, because eating that way helped her pay more attention to her food choices and avoid that feeding frenzy that can set so many of us back. Maybe there's no metabolic magic to it, but it's still meaningful behavior change.

Yep, that's exactly what I was driving at :smile: . I don't personally believe that there's a *metabolic* advantage, but it certainly can and does for some people (including myself) provide an advantage in sticking to the plan long-term, which is what this is all about, right? Other people may prefer a different approach, but within the framework of meeting appropriate macro, micronutrient, and calorie goals, it's all good :flowerforyou: .
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member

There's a common misconception that eating frequently "keeps the metabolism moving faster" or some such. It's thrown around with a very high degree of frequency as an (THE) advantage of eating frequently. I was referencing that, though I didn't do it explicitly.

I'll apologize for my over-sensitivity. I will point out, you're the only one in this thread to mention "metabolism" at all. But I do think you meant well. I just get frustrated with every question on this forum leading to some never-ending fight about some perceived psudo-science even if no one mentions it. But you do seem nice enough and I sincerely apologize for questioning your motives.

Eating more frequently, for me, got me used to eating less as a "meal". Some of my "meals" are 5 crackers and a slice of pepper-jack cheese. Use to be I'd eat half a package of cheese and a sleeve of crackers. A lot of this, for me, is about re-defining my relationship with food. I have learned that I can eat a little something and it does keep me from getting hungry. Like a lot of people, I think, I was just kind of used to eating until I was stuffed. Small, frequent meals encourage me to eat less and eat more variety. All of that helps me maintain a calorie deficit which, of course, is what causes weight loss.

And I agree, changes in metabolic rate don't happen that fast. It's the opposite of the "starvation mode" myth. A day or two doesn't change your metabolism, let alone the couple of hours between meals.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    I eat 5x/day. Usually, I have 3 meals @ 300 calories each and 2 snacks @ 150 each. It really helps me to stay full. I've also been trying to get at least 25 grams of fiber/day (which takes some planning ahead, when you only have 1200 calories to eat/day) and that keeps me really full. Caution: if you don't usually consume that much fiber, slowly increase your fiber intake.
  • I couldn't help but laugh and smile at most of your comments, some of you are pistols!! LOL

Everyone thank you for replying, it meant/means a lot!

I found today from eating 6 meals/"feeding times" as 40DayFit put it ;-) my hunger was knocked out immediately. I'm one of those people who get hungry often. I find when I skip eating I get too hungry and will eat like a Sumo Wrestler in one feeding. I think I really like this, but like Mav3rick54 said that he does, and that is eating a larger meal at dinner, that is how I am wired--I want more food at night. Now I need to make a new topic called: "What is the best time to stop eating at night?" LOL
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I typically eat 5 times a day, but break it into 3 meals and 2 snacks. I am a type 2 diabetic so part of my reason is to manage my blood sugar. However I have eating frequently also helps to deal with cravings. If I get hungry, I am usually no more than a couple of hours from my next meal. Either I convince myself I can wait, or I go ahead and eat early. My meals are usually from 250-400 calories and snacks from 100-200. I manage each day's meals to stay within my calorie goal.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    I do it. still losing on a steady basis. my diary is open
  • BarbieAS
    I'll apologize for my over-sensitivity. I will point out, you're the only one in this thread to mention "metabolism" at all. But I do think you meant well. I just get frustrated with every question on this forum leading to some never-ending fight about some perceived psudo-science even if no one mentions it. But you do seem nice enough and I sincerely apologize for questioning your motives.

I wasn't meaning to fight with anyone. Just providing my response to the OP and my personal opinion/experience for my choices, which seemed to be what the thread was about. A few other posts (including and especially the OP) seemed to imply that there could be an advantage beyond simple satiety and adherence and I was responding to that, since the pseudo-science frustrates me to no end as well. It's all good :flowerforyou: .
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I don't believe meal frequency or size has anything to do with weight loss. It's all about how many calories you eat overall. Do whatever works for you and makes you happiest. During the work week I eat on a pretty tight schedule. I eat breakfast lunch and dinner plus two snacks. One around 10 or 11am and one around 3 or 4pm. On the weekends I just kind of eat whenever though. But that's because I sleep in a little longer and don't eat breakfast until quite a bit later in the morning.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    I've always had more control and been more satisfied eating 5 times a day. Lunch is my most important meal, though it doesn't have to be large. I also must have protein in the morning. If I try to skip my mid-morning snack, I'll be ready to chew my arm off by 11:00 a.m., and I need another afternoon snack. Oddly, the evening is when I least seem to need food, but I usually have a portion of nuts, or whatever I need to hit the day's macros. We're all different. Go with what works.
  • Wow so many posts to this thread, first let me just say everything depends on your personal goals and what you want to achieve. I am on a strict meal plan of increased proteins, complex carbs and veggies. I eat 6 times a day. I also workout 6 days a week but I am trying to build muscle right now. Eating throughout the day will give you more energy and help support your metabolism. But remember its not always when you eat it's what you eat. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    i eat more often through the day, too... if i go too long without eating something happens with my blood sugar and my body feels like it is about to collapse... it just happens all of a sudden and doesn't go away until i eat something... so i eat a small breakfast, a small lunch, and a somewhat bigger dinner with small healthy snacks throughout the day. eating like this for the past two weeks has helped keep me from feeling like crap as well as not over eating like i would do when i went so long without food
  • I do this. Eat 6 times per day. But my day's calorie target and macros fall into place.