Dockers pant sizes are wrong. I mean really wrong.

Options
Okay, I know the old joke that they call them Dockers because they don't want to call them "pants for overweight men." But I 'was truly surprised by how far the difference is. I'm 6'4" and overweight, but I wear between a 36 and 38 pant size in Dockers. As part of my wife and my weight loss and exercise efforts, we started using a soft tape measure to mark progress. Today was the first day, and I had a 44-inch waist. I expected 2-3 inches of fudge, but wow!

In a way though, it was very motivating for both of us. Our eyes are now open. We are reinvigorated in our determination.

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This has been happening for the last 15 years. 36 really mean 39-40. Large is bigger than XL from 15 years ago, etc...

Marketing and whatever sells.

Coming to terms with your own painful truths is an important stage to improvement.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Women's clothing has been going this way for decades, and now men's are doing it too. It makes buying really challenging. It's called "vanity sizing."
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    My mother kept a pants from the 60's she had worn in high school. They were in great shape, and I started wearing them when I was in high school (I had a very unique fashion sense haha) They had a tag that said "8" on them. I had a 26" waist.

NOW, a lot of jeans with waist 24-26" is a size 1-2. It's almost a war on being skinny! And I wasn't even "skinny" in high school - I was an athlete and very fit!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Different companies use a different "size".