Differences in calorie counters

Options
I put in my and my wife's info into both MFP and Scooby's Calorie calculator and coming out with pretty big differences.

For myself, a 200lb 41 year old male who'd like to lose fat/weight, MFP has my calorie goal at 1570 and Scooby's has it has over 2400.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, which do you follow? I just wanted to make sure I'm not going too low.

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    They use 2 different methods. With Scooby's you don't eat back exercise calories, with MFP you do. So pick either one and stick to the method. I use MFP because I find that "earning" more food makes it easier for me to get off my butt when I am really tired.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What llamapants said.. but I suspect you also have an aggressive weight loss goal on MFP. With 15lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 to 1 lb per week. And then add in exercise calories, and you will be about the same. If it makes you feel better, I am 31, desk job, 5'11, 185, exercise 5 to 6 hours a week and I lose weight on 2400 ish calories and maintain at 3000
  • heckofagator
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I changed my desired weight loss to a lb a week and my target went up to 1800.

So from reading another thread, I see you have to add in your exercises into MFP. I wasn't aware of this. So when you do that, is that when the calories needed will go up and MFP and Scooby's will be closer in numbers?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I changed my desired weight loss to a lb a week and my target went up to 1800.

So from reading another thread, I see you have to add in your exercises into MFP. I wasn't aware of this. So when you do that, is that when the calories needed will go up and MFP and Scooby's will be closer in numbers?

Yes. After you enter your exercise into the "exercise tab", MFP will add those calories burned to your daily allotment.