Does anyone else get really hungry when you're sick?

Options
I hear all these people losing weight when they get sick because they don't have an appetite. I'm just the opposite! Unless I'm throwing up, I just want to eat, eat, eat. I've got a chest cold with a cough so I'm trying to take it easy and not work out today, but my stomach wants me to go running just so I can eat more…lol. Anyone else?

Replies

• ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Im the same. Ive been on both sides, eating more and one time eating less. I felt better and recovered better eating more. I think it does depend on the illness but your body is fighting so fueling it with more energy might be good.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I am fairly sure the body must use more energy to repair itself when we are sick. I was unwell for most of December with a very severe chest infection and flu, and hardly gained anything even though I had to cease working out, having worked out 5-6 days a week intensely, and even though I was eating as if still working out.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    YES.

I ate 1-2k over my goal for several days --- didn't gain, must have needed it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yes. My appetite never changes unless it's a stomach virus.
  • KristinD789
    Options
    Interesting. I was just reading this article earlier about how your body needs more energy when it is sick.

http://greatist.com/health/best-foods-eat-when-sick
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yes, some times I think it is because I am doing less (I will stay at home more, not move around as much etc) so eating fills the fidget need. Other times it is because I have to fuel my immune system. I tend to have trouble telling those apart.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    When I am sick, I do not have any appetite. Have to force myself to even drink water just to stay hydrated.

Getting hungry doesn't surprise me though. Your metabolic rate is increased when you have a fever, or coughing, or even violent vomiting. So your body is just wanting the depleted stores replenished.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It really depends on me, usually if I have a fever I don't eat, fevers just kill me x.x or if I get strep throat, which I've tended to get since I was small, usually my throat is too sore to eat. If it's just a normal cold or flu though I tend to eat normally, or even a lot xD
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i'm the same too. I can usually tell when i'm about to get sick by the fact that i'm crazy hungry.