Filling foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Protein. I like Canadian bacon as a snack. People have given some great suggestions.
    This is a bit about protein supressing appetite.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/33369.php
  • Heather68462
    Heather68462 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    To lose 1 lb/week, my calorie allowance with MFP is 1,380. Even with exercise (burning 150-250 calories a day and upping my allowance to approximately 1,600 calories), I am starving all day long. Please share your ideas for filling meals/snacks?

I am in the same boat as you! My MFP is 1380 and I am starving!!!!!!!!!! I exercise to eat and Im still ravished!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    MFP is notorius for underestimating how many calories you should be eating... you should NOT be STARVING all day. A little hunger is normal as your body gets used to the new way of eating but feeling like youre STARVING? Def not.... I would suggest you increase your intake and stay away from stuff like white flour, processed, refined foods etc. Not only are the pretty bad for you - but it screws with your glucose levels and youll end up hungry again soon after eating. Healthy fats (like avocado, almonds) and protein are always good choices.
  • KProtani
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Protein is a must have! If I don't get enough I end up feeling like I am starving! I shoot for 30g per meal of protein and it seems to work very well for me.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Protein! I have shakes and lots of chicken with greens. Also eggs, low cal bread, carrots, nuts.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Some of the things that I've found that help me feel more full for longer are:

whole grains instead of refined ones
    increasing the amount of vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, kale, spinach, lettuce
    increasing beans and legumes as protein sources
    thinking of meat and cheese as "flavorings" instead of main items in dishes
    whole fruits and vegetables instead of juices
    no fast food
    drinking enough water
    eating a little protein and fat at the same time as starches

Hope that helps.
  • KProtani
    Options
    Protein is a must have! If I don't get enough I end up feeling like I am starving! I shoot for 30g per meal of protein and it seems to work very well for me.

Can you tell me the kinds of things you eat? :)
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    For me, I find oatmeal is my number one choice, I usually chop up an apple with it....so good.

I love to eat dinner plates of broccoli, beans, brussel sprouts...they seem to satisfy me too.

For yummy treats and I find filling is a tablespoon of delicious almond butter....I take a spoon and let it melt in my mouth

I add different types of seeds to my veggies . Quinoa to veggies etc. Lot's of options. Protein and fibre are the way to go
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I also like to make smoothies....lots of options there, I have several different fruits in the house, throw some of those in the blender, add yogurt, almond milk, some seeds, ( I usually will add my cold pressed flax seed). That is also super filling
  • MP022012
    MP022012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make sure your snacks/meals have all 3 macronutrients -- fat, carbs, protein! So for breakfast, if you like protein shakes... make sure you have a source of carbs and fat with it. Add fruit and peanut butter for example. For lunch, if you like a veggie burger with chips... add a side of yogurt or cottage cheese for protein and add a slice of cheese to your veggie burger for fat. For snacks, try veggies with string cheese or yogurt with peanut butter. Usually when you feel hungry all the time, you are either dehydrated or your body needs a better balance of the macronutrients. :)
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Don't forget there is lots of protein in seeds, nuts, and legumes too.

It doesn't just have to be from animal sources.