Fine Line Healthy and Not

Options
Hi Guys

I have found this website to be the utmost of hel since i started in Jan of this year.

Unfortunatley my health took a turn for the worst weekend before last and i won myself a visit to the hospital with a suspected bleed in the brain. After a few days there my doctors told me to slow everything down, take it easy.
I had to get a lumbar puncture done during my stay, and the laugh of it they asked me to drink as much coke and coffee as i could for 2 days to help me recover from the lumber puncture. Thought it was fairly ironic.

Anyway where i am looking for help, ok yes i do want results and i want them NOW.. but im thinking no did i go to severe on my training and on my diet.

I am 39 , 6ft,weighed at the start 210lbs got down to 201lbs. I would be a big enough build but carrying excess. In my 6 weeks training i lost 3% body fat.
My routine was 4 week days at the gym at 6am.
Monday & Friday circuit training, Tuesday and Thursday Spinning.
I would also include a 7k walk at the weekend, but i had 2 days off also.

My diet was good, i was very careful.

Weighed myself this morning and i am back to 203. Im putting that to the 8ltrs of coke over 3 days last week.

My question is what is a balanced diet. What is a balanced training regieme.
I was very very athletic for years until i got a brain tumor years ago.
I want to feel good about myself, i dont want the double chin, i dont want the belly.

Of course i know my health is more important than anything else, but you have to have the feel good factor.

Any help or advice again guys i would be more than grateful.

Replies

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound as if you were training excessively & you were having 2 rest days. When you say your diet was "good", what does that mean? If being good means you were sticking to a fairly low calorie budget & were undereating in relation to all the exercise you were doing then obviously that is not suistainable in the long term.

If your doctor has told you to scale everything back and take is easy I would definitely listen and wouldn't re introduce anything too strenuous without consulting with him/her and getting the all clear to do so but I do appreciate how frustrated you must be. It must be really discouraging to want to be able to be as active as you were but worrying that overdoing it may actually have a negative impact on your health.

In terms of just losing weight and losing "the belly" you can continue to lose weight through controlling your diet so your goal is still achieveable even without being able to be particularly active and perhaps you could still do your walking at weekends if that is something you enjoy but maybe scale back on the distance/pace. Although I think the general consensus on MFP would be that losing weight through a combination of diet and exercise is the best option, if that doesn't work for you at the moment you can still focus on the food side of things. :flowerforyou:
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about this..
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    THIS
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    THIS

X2

And they told you to drink as much coffee/Coke after your LP to keep your blood vessels constricted.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    THIS

X2

And they told you to drink as much coffee/Coke after your LP to keep your blood vessels constricted.

mmmmhmm. for good measure.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    THIS

X2

mmmmhmm. for good measure.

All of this^
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Can your doctor refer you to a nutitionist and a physical therapist? With your health issues, you should probably be consulting with professionals to help you figure out what you can and should do.
  • I am going to chime in on the doctor thing.

To be honest, if anyone tries to offer you sound nutritional/exercise help on this site after everything you've just posted I would run in the other direction.

You need professional advice to wade those murky waters.

for the sake of your health!

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would tell your doctor(s) your goals and ask them to suggest a diet and exercise regimen tailored for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did you see your neurologist?

To be honest, and being someone who has had a ruptured cerebral aneurysm, I would not look to get advice from an online forum.

General advice, other than seeing your neurologist: you do not have to go to extremes to lose weight/get fitter.