2014 Fitness Trackers

Options
I've been planning to get myself a fitness tracker specifically a FitBit One because of positive reviews I've read about it. As I was researching, I came across this article: http://www.t3.com/features/best-fitness-tracker-best-fitness-band/ New brands joining in the Fitness Tracker bandwagon! Now I'm confused. Should I wait or just get the FitBit One? These trackers seem promising with more features than the FitBit ones.

Which one are you excited for? Or would you consider purchasing or have already purchased? I'd love your thoughts on this!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I wanted a Fitbit Flex in 2013. It was backordered for months, so I got a Jawbone UP. I loved it, so when the Flex was finally available I got that, too. I like it, but if I could have only one I'd choose the UP.

Then the Fitbit Force was announced, and I was sorry I'd bought the Flex. Last week, the Force was recalled.

So the bottom line is just get whatever you want right now—don't wait. My trackers inspire me to move more. They send my TDEE to MFP (when they work—Fitbit's been wonky since Christmas), and MFP adjusts my calorie goal accordingly.

Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13370-jawbone-up-bracelet
  • mrsdean4
    mrsdean4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a gadget girl. I have had all of the wearable fitness tech stuff out there, except for the nike fuel one. This year there will be an EXPLOSION of wearable tech. I am so excited! Samsung just released info on their new watch/fitness band yesterday. Apple is reportedly releasing theirs soon, too. It will likely be late spring, early summer before those products are available for purchase. The fitbit products are great, but if you love tech you may want to wait for the vastly improved bands that are coming.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Okay now I'm confused. Lol

Yes, I saw! There are a lot of contenders! So much fitness trackers coming out this year! I don't know which one to get! Aghhh! So excited for them though especially with the features! Hope they come out with reviews soon!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I track my running, hiking, etc with the MapMyFitness app on my phone. I am happy with it, and I like seeing my course in Google map after I'm done.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am a gadget girl. I have had all of the wearable fitness tech stuff out there, except for the nike fuel one. This year there will be an EXPLOSION of wearable tech. I am so excited! Samsung just released info on their new watch/fitness band yesterday. Apple is reportedly releasing theirs soon, too. It will likely be late spring, early summer before those products are available for purchase. The fitbit products are great, but if you love tech you may want to wait for the vastly improved bands that are coming.

What do you currently own? I have the Polar FT4 and really wish I had one that uploaded to MFP. I was considering upgrading to the Polar H7 strap and Polar Beat on my phone. The only issue I see with that is that I think I'd rather wear my watch than my phone.
  • wynndixie
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip, Fitbit Flex and Fitbit One. I like the One coz while a Flex looks cool as a wristband, it comes off if you are active like I am. Advantage of One is you can stick it in your pocket, wear it inside your bra or clip it to wherever makes sense. I love that it flashes my name which I typed in as Greeting. Also you cannot read off the a Flex whereas the One has a display; with a pretty flower whose stem grows longer and adds leaves as you get closer to your goals for the day.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Thanks for the insights guys!! But I think I'm going to wait until the others come out! So exciting!
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    And oh I just found out that the new Samsung Galaxy S5 phone has a heart rate monitor!!!!!!! How cool is that!?
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The new Galaxy Gear watches also have HRM built in. I think that's going to be a pretty common feature in wearables this year, though; IIRC, LG, Razer, and Polar are all coming out with heart rate sensing devices.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Oh that is awesome. I can't wait to get my hands (wrists) on those! LOL But damn sure it's going to cost $$$!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia FIT. I prefer this one because it is more than a step tracker.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options

So is the Basis. continuous HRM, motion sensor, perspiration sensor all built into a wrist band. If I had the money, I would likely get one.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

So is the Basis. continuous HRM, motion sensor, perspiration sensor all built into a wrist band. If I had the money, I would likely get one.

That Basis looks cool. Bodymedia and Basis both do the same thing, it is all a matter of preference. I like that mine links to my phone wirelessly.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had the Jawbone UP...I loved at first until it quit syncing..2nd UP I had (replacement) wouldn't correctly log my steps and had me under nearly 2 miles.. I know the mileage because I take that 6 mile walk 2-3 times a week and tracked it with my car also. I do plan on getting the Polar Loop though. You can get that one wet/swim and what not. Good luck with yours :)