cervical disc fusion & exercise

elmct57
elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
hoping there are other members who have been thru this and can give some tips on exercises...?

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Walking and gentle stretching work for me. And I have tried Tai Chi--slow gentle motions that are good for the body. See what your doctor thinks.

Enjoy your exercises :drinker: (water)
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    How long ago was the surgery, which discs were involved and what does your doctor say about exercise. I had C5/C6 fused approximately 14 years ago. It took several years for me to really be able to do anything other than walk without feeling that I could damage things. Now, I am "able" to do whatever I want - if my knees would allow it (nothing to do with the cervical fusion - arthritis in my knees). I can tell you, though, that I was running 6 miles a day in 2001 (I think I had surgery in Dec. 1996). Of course other things happened and I wound up gaining a lot of weight (but that was only in the last 5 years or so and had nothing to do with the cervical fusion). So - when you had the surgery (how long ago) is really important. I can tell you, that you will definitely know it if you over do it.

Vickie
  • After you've gotten the ok from your doctor, check out Yen Yoga (gentle yoga), walking, Tai Chi, perhaps a water exercise
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    my sincere thanks to everyone posting with information!
    Had posted since i was a bit down-- i had mri's and bad news this week and the surgery was recommended. i will lose the feelings in both arms/hands eventually if not done but the burning pain (like hitting your funny bone just worse) isn't to the point where i want to cut them off yet either. those of you who live with severe pain know what i mean. And i am leary of the procedure, too i guess.
    i had a friend go thru it a about a decade ago and it didn't turn out well for him. i have been losing and walking everyday and see the posts by some friends who are jogging, now doing 5 k's. the way i am with degenerative discs that will not be possible in my present state or possibly ever again. i do stretches, walk, the elliptical and water jogs with a flotation belt at a gym.
    hearing from people who have been thru it helped a great deal--thank you!
This discussion has been closed.