My protein shake - good or bad move?

Options
Good afternoon.

1st off Ive got to say I love the app!

I over indulged a tad in winter, Im about 5'11 and was weighing nearly 12 stone, a good weight/BMI for me is between 11 and 11.5, since using the app and eating a lot more healthily im almost down to my ideal weight.

Looking at me you wouldnt say im fat at all, but I do have a bit of a belly on me, noticable only when im stood up relaxed or sitting down and the rolls of fat appear., which is starting to go down now since ive had this app. As soon as thats gone im going to maintain my weight and start working on muscle in that area.

I work out 5 days a week, mon-fri, 3 of them cardio and 2 doing weights.

Im looking to not get really muscly but tone up and look cut.

I used to use my protein whey unflavored last summer and im sure it worked but it may have contributed to my expanded stomach.

Im just wondering if its worth going back on it or will I risk going tubby on my stomach again? I do try and get as much protein from food as possible but most days I end up short.

Any advice would be grateful.

thank you.

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Your expanded stomach came from eating more calories than you consumed. Taking extra protein is fine so long as you account for it. If you only have a bit of a belly set a low goal like 1lb a week loss into MFP and that will probably be better for your sanity and results.
  • williamsmufc
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Thats exactly the goal Ive set myself and achieving it so far so good.

Doesnt protein shake add any fat to you at all then?
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    The protein shake can add fat to your body if you are in a calorie surplus due to the shake.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Thats exactly the goal Ive set myself and achieving it so far so good.

It could. Too much protein and the surplus gets stored away as fat. Either reduce protein intake or increase calories burned.
  • williamsmufc
    Options
    it all seems a bit risky for my liking, ideally id like to keep my body clean and fuel it with the correct food.

Are you saying for arguement sake, im 50 calories under my daily goal and the protein shake is 40 cal, then id be ok to drink it is at wouldnt add fat?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

It could. Too much protein and the surplus gets stored away as fat. Either reduce protein intake or increase calories burned.

This is misleading - too many calories will eventually be stored as fat. Too much protein, as long as you are under your TDEE will be fine. I'm currently aiming for about 100g daily - which is about 25% for me - I tried 30% for a couple of days but could find enough protein.

OP I'm curious - you asked if you had 50 calories left, could you drink your protein at 40 cal? Mathematically - of course! However, are you also counting your exercise calories? And if so, I would think you should aim for eating about half of those because of recording inaccuracies.
  • williamsmufc
    Options
    Id only ever consider using my shakes again on days i do weight training and wouldnt drink them on cardio days. Ive been told that drinking them within 1 hour of exercise is recommended or before bed when the body starts repairing muscles.

I had kidney stones in 2009 and im wary that too much protein could contribute to them coming back.

For info - Id be mixing my plain unflavored powder with water, not juice or milk
  • sjaplo
    Options
    Soooo what is your macro nutrient goal breakdown? As mentioned I'm aiming for about 100g of protein, but I've left my Carb and fat at 40/30 respectively. Are you interested in overall fitness, long distance running or just bulking?

I used to just run - but I started doing yoga and then push ups and then weights using dumbells. I've just started the NROL program, after reading the book cover to cover, Lou Adler does a very good job of explaining why protein is necessary, albeit he does go on about the shakes a bit.
  • williamsmufc
    Options
    Im not quite sure what you mean in the 1st sentence but going off the app it recommends im to intake 84g of protein per day, today Im actually going to go over it as ive had some tuna for dinner and going to a steak night this evening. Apologies if this hasnt answered your question, im pretty new to this healthy eating.

Im lucky that Ive got good general fitness so looking to improve that slightly, I can run for about 3 miles, possibly more if i pushed myself so Ideally looking to do about 5k each cardio session.

As for weights, I just want to tone up, Im not sure if youve heard of the football player cristiano ronaldo but that type of body I think id like.

Decent chest, showing a bit of abs and arms that look toned and strong but not like a wwe wrestler.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Im not quite sure what you mean in the 1st sentence but going off the app it recommends im to intake 84g of protein per day, today Im actually going to go over it as ive had some tuna for dinner and going to a steak night this evening. Apologies if this hasnt answered your question, im pretty new to this healthy eating.

Im lucky that Ive got good general fitness so looking to improve that slightly, I can run for about 3 miles, possibly more if i pushed myself so Ideally looking to do about 5k each cardio session.

As for weights, I just want to tone up, Im not sure if youve heard of the football player cristiano ronaldo but that type of body I think id like.

Decent chest, showing a bit of abs and arms that look toned and strong but not like a wwe wrestler.

Ugh....

You don't accidentally end up like a wrestler. Building that much muscle is EXTREMELY difficult. That and you're trying to eat a deficit.
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been incorporating a protein shake into my diet about 3-5 times a week since I've been lifting weights regularly. I find that if I don't eat enough protein the day before or the day of my weight lifting class I am seriously fatigued.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I used to use my protein whey unflavored last summer and im sure it worked but it may have contributed to my expanded stomach.

Im just wondering if its worth going back on it or will I risk going tubby on my stomach again? I do try and get as much protein from food as possible but most days I end up short.

Any advice would be grateful.

thank you.

You have to log the protein shake and ensure that it is aligned with your caloric and macro-nutrient goals. I put a half scoop of protein powder in my Greek yogurt every day - that amounts to .8g fat, 2.5g carbs, 12.5g protein. There is generally nothing in most protein powders alone that will make you fat, unless you mix it with something fattening.
  • sjaplo
    Options

MFP allows you to adjust your goals for Carbs/Fats/Proteins - if you go with the default I believe it sets up as 45/35/20. If your interested in running longer distances (1/2 and full marathons) I would follow those goals, as you'll lneed more carbs. If you want CR's body - you'll probably want a DNA replacement as well as lefting more and upping your protein goals.

Does that help?

PS according to Lou Adler there's no such thing as "toned". You either have muscles or you don't.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Ugh....

You don't accidentally end up like a wrestler. Building that much muscle is EXTREMELY difficult. That and you're trying to eat a deficit.

This. You don't get big from protein. You don't get big from much of anything except a caloric surplus. In order to look like a wrestler you would need one and in order to grow a big gut you'd need one. If you are at a caloric deficit of 500 calories a day, your macronutrient spread will NOT prevent you from losing weight. No matter what.

More protein is generally good for you in weight loss because it can be a factor in preserving lean muscle mass, which you do want to keep, since you only want to lose fat.
  • williamsmufc
    Options

MFP allows you to adjust your goals for Carbs/Fats/Proteins - if you go with the default I believe it sets up as 45/35/20. If your interested in running longer distances (1/2 and full marathons) I would follow those goals, as you'll lneed more carbs. If you want CR's body - you'll probably want a DNA replacement as well as lefting more and upping your protein goals.

Does that help?

PS according to Lou Adler there's no such thing as "toned". You either have muscles or you don't.

Thanks for the explanation, I cant seem to find on the app where to go to alter the goals.

My personal goals, lose stomach fat, maintain weight around 11-11.5 stone and to build/tone muscles.

Any advice on what macro goals to adjust and to what extent would be helpful.

Thank you.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after each workout. I currently lift 4 days a week (1.5 hours a session) and I have roller derby practice 2 days a week (3 hour a session). I shoot for 20-30g of preotein immedeatly after I work out because thats when my muscles will be most receptive to it.
    Is this for everyone? No it depends on how hard they are working.

The type of protein you use is also very important, I stay away from proteins that the ingredients list looks like a novela. I wont make any recomendatins beause I'm a vegetarian and my personal needs are specific to that.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    dont make your goal just losing stomach fat, you cant choose where the fat leaves from.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

This is misleading - too many calories will eventually be stored as fat. Too much protein, as long as you are under your TDEE will be fine. I'm currently aiming for about 100g daily - which is about 25% for me - I tried 30% for a couple of days but could find enough protein.

OP I'm curious - you asked if you had 50 calories left, could you drink your protein at 40 cal? Mathematically - of course! However, are you also counting your exercise calories? And if so, I would think you should aim for eating about half of those because of recording inaccuracies.
  • williamsmufc
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice here.

This week Ive hit my weight goal of 11 stone, although I havent really lost my stomach im going to continue my cardio work of about 10k -15k each week.

I lifted weights monday, barbell lifting for my chest for about 20 mins including rest, 5k run (30 mins) then protein shake.

Im planning on doing the same tonight. but maybe do dumbell work for arms.

Again, this is all pretty new to me. Is this a good workout to start on?