Noob: Do I really need to bulk to get goal body? PICS

Options
Hi everyone, hope all is well. Pre-apologies for my noobiness on bodybuilding.

I have been told to do a 'clean bulk' (eat clean, and add 500 calories to my maintenance calories per day) but I'm feeling quite resistant towards it.

I have a particular goal body in mind and I will do whatever it takes, but the idea of eating lots and gaining fat seems contradictory to the lean, toned, moderately muscular body I am aiming for. I was told to always 'lose fat, eat less' for such a long time, so this just feels very odd! (currently in my second day of bulking).

Did all these AFL (australian football league) players and other athletes who have awesome bodies have to eat a lot to gain muscle? Or did they do it another way?

What do you guys think? Do I really need to bulk to get to goal body, or is there another way that won't mean I'm always bloated/gaining fat and covering the little ab definition I had to start off with?

My current shots: http://tinypic.com/r/2vj4so1/8
My goal body: http://tinypic.com/r/2qnbmeb/8

SORRY for all the questions! Any help would be appreciated so much.

Replies

• mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Probably yes. The goal photos you showed had more muscle (broader arms etc) so you'll need to eat at surplus and weight train to build your muscle base. Just remember that the fat gain is a side effect of your muscle goals! Also, you'll burn more calories if you're carrying more muscle so it will make losing the fat easier later on.

Athletes need to eat a lot to maintain their performance during training.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Aussie footballers, rugby players, etc will generally do some sort of "Armour Building" in the off-season. You'll need a decent "meat suit" to handle the brutal impacts!

The fact is, if you want the maximum amount of muscle with the minimum fat, then you'll need to eat a smallish surplus say 250, train right, get plenty of protein and give it some time (probably a lot of time).

You should be aiming to add roughly 1/2lb a week. That's about the sweet-spot. You're already quite lean, so that's a good starting point for a successful bulk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    PS clean vs dirty bulk has nothing to do with WHAT you eat- but how much surplus you eat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    PS clean vs dirty bulk has nothing to do with WHAT you eat- but how much surplus you eat.

Oh, good catch.

I missed that when I read his post!

Yeah, OP: Clean is generally considered to be a small surplus. Dirty, a large one..
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    and it will take time, its not going to happen in 6-12 weeks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you have to eat at a surplus...no other way.

I haven't done a bulk before but have read a lot of stories on here of people who have.

You don't have to get "fat" to bulk, but to get that body you want you are looking at a long road...good luck.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to bulk. You have to eat at at calorie surplus, it doesn't have to be clean. You will still need protein, fat and carbs to gain lean mass.

To gain the muscle size they did eat more and lift hard. You might have to sacrifice a bit of how you look now to reach your long term goal. Doesn't mean you immediately start eating whatever, but slowly increase your calories until you start gaining.

Here's something that helped me get over the fear of bulking: http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/10/the-former-fat-boy-syndrome/
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    Its taken me a year just to add 7 lbs...it's a long road. I don't seem to be as well informed as the rest of you. I need 3000 cal a day to maintain my weight
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but it looks like you have a normal 19-year-old body. You're not a boy, but you are definitely still growing. You should be eating all the foodz anyway. Do a considerable amount of strength training while eating all the foodz, and you'll bulk up the right way.
  • burning2much
    Options
    big difference between a 19 and 49 year old though, I don't process foods the same. I'm looking to bulk up too much, just would like to reach 160-170 and I would be happy
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options

You are WASTING probably the best time in your life to put on mass easily if you don't bulk during this time.

Heck, at 19 and a 500 cal surplus your hormones may allow you some semblence of a recomp. But EAT!!!!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yes you have to eat in a surplus to put on weight. You can not create muscle out of the air. It has to be made out of the excess energy and materials you give your body.

Get on a proven full body weight lifting program and start increasing your calories until you start gaining weight. If you stop gaining weight then increase them again.
  • burning2much
    Options
    I'm 49, not 19...I eat all day long, I just avoid carbs do to medical reasons.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Those guys probably have at least 20-25lbs of muscle on you. It will take years to get to that size. What better time to start now?

(PS - they're all on test/steroids/etc too, keep that in mind)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

2qnbmeb.jpg

That size and physique is definitely possible without steroids or testosterone or any other substance. I can't vouch for any of those guys specifically, but I have friends who look like them or even bigger who are all natural.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Dope, these are actually highly tested athletes and operate within a very strict code (especially after the drug scandal last year!) I doubt that many of them are on significant amounts of gear.

OP, you will have to eat at a surplus and train hard, but you can certainly build a physique similar to an AFL player, You could make great inroads toward that even in your first year with a decent approach and solid (and consistent) training program.

As a basic outline, assuming you have no real history of training in the gym, I'd suggest:

Figure out what your maintenance calories are (TDEE) and eat at 500 calorie per day surplus. Monitor your weight and aim for about half a kilo per week increase. Adjust your intake accordingly to keep this progression going.
    * NB your weight will shoot up during your first week or two of training if your body is not used to the stimulus - this is just water retention and don't be tempted to drop your calories.

Pick a good beginner program that works within your time constraints (3-4 days per week is the ideal). Try to go for a beginner program that focuses on compound movements. The barbell should be your main tool, not machines. Starting strength, AusBB Beginner Program or ICF 5x5 are good examples. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good minimalist program if you don't have a lot of time or you could add a couple of accessory lifts.
    * NB Don't let ego get in the way when you start, work on your form with light weights and progress a little every week. This is the best way to progress as a beginner and you'll see gains for a long time (which is rewarding and will keep you motivated to get back in the gym too!)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Any proof?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Saying "test/steroid" is like saying "lean/shredded", steroids are just synthetic testostrone

Also, the physiques aren't actually that impressive and are all easily obtainable without the use of performance enhancers. If it had been like Jeff Seid's then I might have agreed with you.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Err. AFL players I've seen don't look like John Cena or LaRon Landry. Just look like athletic guys. Highly achievable body type objective for 19yr old male.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes those are attainable physiques, yes you should be bulking.

IMO you could reach that (or something similar/etc) in a couple of years.