Water and weight loss ?

stephanzeew
stephanzeew Posts: 3
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi. This is my first time posting, so ... help me out! :)

My old yoga teacher told me she drank a lot of hot water to fill her up and keep her full. I know that a lot of weight is water retained in the body, so here's what I'm wondering... is it more beneficial to drink water instead of snacking, or should I limit my fluid intake while I'm trying to lose weight?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Always drink water. Water retention really should be the least of your concerns when you are trying to lose FAT. If you're problem is hunger then snacking throughout the day may help prevent you from gorging because you getting too hungry. Drinking water helps fill up your stomach so you feel full sooner.

NEVER limit how much water you drink unless you're getting waterlogged -which is really hard to do anyway. I drink 20 glasses of water a day.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I guess my suggestion boils down to - "Do both"
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    A lot of times when you feel like snacking - it's really thirst anyway. When you feel like you need to munch on something but can't nail down what it is you want - that generally means it's thirst being confused as hunger.

Drinking more water helps weight loss in many ways - more than just keeping you from overeating. Definitely drink a lot of water. If you are not peeing clear or nearly clear or at least very pale you are not drinking enough water.
  • When I met with a bariatrician, she said that if you are 3% dehydrated, your body is 20% less efficient in burning calories. The bad news is that you don't start to feel thirsty until you are 5% dehydrated.

There are lots of guides about how much water to drink, and she suggested 1/2 ounce per pound of ideal body weight (i.e. if ideal body weight is 150, then 75oz of water a day). However, she said the better guide is to drink enough water that your urine is always a pale yellow or clear--except after taking a vitamin or supplement when it's bright yellow.

It is possible to drink too much water, but it's extremely rare (unless a House episode) and usually found in people with water-related OCD.

Hope that helps.
    LaVona
  • Hi :flowerforyou:

If you are worried about retaining weight gain that is water, cut back on your salt intake.

Cutting back on water can make you dehydrated. One of the symptoms of dehydration is being tired or sleepy. You want to stay hydrated and healhty. Your yoga teacher was correct that you should drink 8 8oz glasses (64 oz) of water every day to fill up.

Be careful that you don't drink too much water. Here in Washington state, a lady died because she drank too much water for a radio contest. It was hard for people to believe that you can die from too much water intake.
  • Drink lots of water! It is actually best to drink it ice cold. Your body actually has to burn more calories in order to try to warm it up when you drink it...
  • Thank you everyone for your advice
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Be careful that you don't drink too much water. Here in Washington state, a lady died because she drank too much water for a radio contest. It was hard for people to believe that you can die from too much water intake.

She drank 6 liters within 3 hours while not allowing herself to pee. This is highly atypical.
  • I've heard about this. Sad. I'm not drinking an unhealthy amount of water like that!
This discussion has been closed.