Options
MisdemeanorM
MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
I think the subject says it all :)

Replies

• trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've got a great stuffed zucchini recipe -- you can use the same filling for stuffed peppers, if you're interested!
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    Yes I have one

Get a fry pan, spray it with spray oil. fry up some onions, celery pieces, a tin of lentils, corriander and cumin, both ground, add a tin of tomatoes, some liquid stock, some diced capsicum, maybe some corn kernels, a bag of pre cooked rice.. let it simmer and stuff the peppers with the lovely spicy mix. then cut up some lovely low fat feta and sprinkle on top. Bake in the oven...yummmm
  • lucyridge
    Options
    This sounds good!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Yes I have one

Get a fry pan, spray it with spray oil. fry up some onions, celery pieces, a tin of lentils, corriander and cumin, both ground, add a tin of tomatoes, some liquid stock, some diced capsicum, maybe some corn kernels, a bag of pre cooked rice.. let it simmer and stuff the peppers with the lovely spicy mix. then cut up some lovely low fat feta and sprinkle on top. Bake in the oven...yummmm

hmmmm.... I did not recognize a single word in that except "peppers", "tomatoes", and "rice".
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can try this one, substituting the zucchini with peppers! It is so delicious!

Stuffed Zucchini with Brown Rice, Ground Beef, Red Pepper, and Basil

(Makes 4 whole meal servings or 8 side dish servings, recipe created by Kalyn.)

Ingredients:

2-4 large zucchini
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 tsp. olive oil
    1 lb. very lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
    1 tsp. Spike Seasoning ( I use a cajun seasoning)
    1 tsp. chopped garlic or garlic puree (from a jar)
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed (I didn’t have fennel, and it was still great!)
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
    3/4 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup chicken stock

Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut stem and ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, then using a pointed teaspoon or melon baller, scoop out and discard most of the zucchini flesh and seeds, leaving an even 1/2 inch of flesh attached to the skin. Microwave zucchini 3 to 4 minutes on high.

Put oil in heavy frying pan and saute chopped onions and peppers until they are just starting to soften, about 5 minutes. (They will cook more in the oven, so they don't need to be fully cooked at this point.) Remove onions and peppers to large mixing bowl, then add ground beef to hot pan and cook until starting to brown. When meat is about half cooked, season with Spike seasoning (or whatever you choose to use) and ground fennel and add garlic, and continue to cook until meat is well browned, breaking it into small, pieces with the side of your turner. Remove cooked beef to bowl. Add cooked brown rice, chopped basil, parmesan cheese, and chicken stock to meat and vegetable mixture, and gently combine.

Choose a roasting pan with slight sides, just big enough to hold the zucchini. Spray pan with nonstick spray or a light misting of olive oil. Stuff zucchini with stuffing mixture, packing in as much as you can into each zucchini, and mounding it up as high as you can, until all stuffing is used.

Put zucchini into roasting pan, putting them close together so they hold each other stuffing-side up. Roast uncovered 20-30 minutes, until zucchini is tender-crisp, and filling is hot and slightly browned. Serve hot.

This will keep well for a few days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the microwave.

Variations:
    Use turkey Italian Sausage instead of ground beef.
    Use thin tomato sauce instead of the chicken stock.
    Use sage or parsley instead of the basil. (I might use a bit less.)
    Add some chopped olives to the stuffing.
    Use sauteed mushrooms instead of or in addition to the red pepper.
    Use feta cheese instead of the parmesan.

Nutritional Value:
    Calories: 314
    Carbs: 18 grams
    Fat: 17 grams
    Fiber: 2 grams
    Sodium: 440 grams
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This one is awesome! I made it a few days ago, and I already want it again. I calculated the calories though, and I used 93/7 turkey so mine came out to 252 per pepper. Very yummy and very filling!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-with-Turkey-and-Vegetables/Detail.aspx
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    This one is awesome! I made it a few days ago, and I already want it again. I calculated the calories though, and I used 93/7 turkey so mine came out to 252 per pepper. Very yummy and very filling!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-with-Turkey-and-Vegetables/Detail.aspx

Nice. I got some turkey yesterday. I want to see if my husband notices the difference vs beef! i'll try this!