Question about carbs in my diet

I’ve always heard that to lose weight you must cut carbs, along with exercise. I did the Atkins diet (20 carbs/day) when it was big 10 years ago, I lost 50 pounds but put it all back on and then some. When I use a macro calculator online it says the number of carbs I need in a day ranges from 200 to 300, these numbers seem way too high! Am I mentally stuck in the past? Are “high” carb diets better for weight loss or are these calculators full of it?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    The amount of carbs you eat is kind of a personal preference. That being said, more than 200 sounds like a lot. What percentages are your macros set at? 50% carb 25% protein and 25% fat is a nice starting point. But no reason you can't do 25% carbs 50% protein 25% fat if you prefer. or 33% 33% 33%. or 20% 40% 40%. Really, it's up to you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I eat 200ish carbs a day, my diary is open if you'd like to take a look. I think its more about calories than carbs, personally, unless you are a diabetic.
  • thecountryman
    thecountryman Posts: 5 Member
    Currently my plan is P 45% C30% F25%. Thanks for the advice.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    You can largely set your carb macro where you want it. I personally find it much easier to run an aggressive caloric deficit when keeping carbs low, since you're forced to stick with very filling foods to get your calories for the day. There's nothing that says you can't lose weight eating 200 or 300 calories per day, provided you're maintaining a caloric deficit.
  • I’ve always heard that to lose weight you must cut carbs, along with exercise.
    Let go of the carb elimination mindset, or perhaps better stated, don't think of carb consumption in concrete terms when it comes to weight loss.

When I use a macro calculator online it says the number of carbs I need in a day ranges from 200 to 300, these numbers seem way too high! Am I mentally stuck in the past? Are “high” carb diets better for weight loss or are these calculators full of it?
    In the interest of time and space, I'll provide a simplified answer. First, don't rely on percentages when it comes to your macros. Second, there is no set number, and there is no singular answer. Generally speaking, I would say you should aim for anywhere from 1-3g per pound of pound of bodyweight. The type, amount, and intensity of your training should guide you as far as your carb requirements/intake. Low-intensity training isn't going to use a lot of carbs; high-intensity training will use more, but, again, how much varies and it's a tough number to pinpoint.

With respect to fitness, weight loss, etc., you would be better served focusing on ensuring your protein intake is adequate, calories in versus calories out, and creating a diet -- and I use the term "diet" in the sense of a regular meal plan / eating pattern for the long- rather than short-term -- that you can and will adhere to.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I eat over 200g of carbs a day and it's never prevented me losing weight. Eating too much food made me overweight, not carbs. There's really no need to worry about them unless you have a medical reason to.

40/30/30 is a good balance. Try changing your settings to that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    The bigger question is, how many calories do you eat and how much protein and fats (in grams) do you eat. Realistically, hitting 1g of protein and .35g of fats (or close) and remainder carbs is a better approach unless you have a medical issue or a binge issue caused by carbs.

ps- I eat 2400 calories a day, 240 ish of which is carbs, 180 ish with protein and 80 ish fats.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I eat over 200g of carbs a day and it's never prevented me losing weight. Eating too much food made me overweight, not carbs. There's really no need to worry about them unless you have a medical reason to.

40/30/30 is a good balance. Try changing your settings to that.
    I'll second this. Eat enough, hit your goals, roll with it.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    I would suggest utilizing this site to help debunk some old/new myths and fads. Stick to your macros, eat at a deficit, exercise = lose weight. I have not seen people complain about the MFP calculator working wrong with respect to eating healthy and losing weight.
  • thecountryman
    My calorie goal is 1800 which I normally hit , give or take 50. I'm currently at 240 and get around 180g of protein, I try to get more but sometimes I have to give up that chase to avoid going over on my calories.
  • psuLemon
    How much do you exercise and can you open your food diary? Realistically, protein helps muscle retention, fats improve vitamin and mineral absorption, pro + fats = satiety and carbs = energy. Honestly, if you struggle with protein it may be advisable to look at a protein powder or bar.

As a reference point though, i am 31, 5'11, 185, desk job and 5-6 hours of exercise a week. i eat 2400 ish calories with 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. The resistance training has helped with muscle retention which helps keep a body lean. In the end, we all really want fat loss, not weight loss.
  • thecountryman
    I would open my diary but it wouldn't help. I had switched over to the Lose It app and haven't been keeping up the diary here....but I'm back. I work out a lot, 5 days a week with a split of 45 minutes cardio and 45 minutes with weights. I change things up and have seen good improvements in my strength. Reading everyone's responses makes me think that I have been restricting my carbs to much (20% sometimes) and raising it will increase my strength gains and help with my weight loss plateau.
  • psuLemon
    I would open my diary but it wouldn't help. I had switched over to the Lose It app and haven't been keeping up the diary here....but I'm back. I work out a lot, 5 days a week with a split of 45 minutes cardio and 45 minutes with weights. I change things up and have seen good improvements in my strength. Reading everyone's responses makes me think that I have been restricting my carbs to much (20% sometimes) and raising it will increase my strength gains and help with my weight loss plateau.

Using this app, you are supported to eat back exercise calories. what you can do is change your profile to active to account for exercise. 1800 is rather low for a guy that is fairly active. I would think even 2200-2500 would benefit you a bit more.. not only in workouts but muscle retention (especially if those calories are from protein).
  • thecountryman
    You're right, I'm going to make the change
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    I was wondering the same thing, I was worried when I noticed I was running around C56/60 F 20/24 P20/25 but I've been losing consistently when I am trying so I am keeping it. I agree it is a new way of thinking but if it works, why not I guess.
  • Exactly what are your goals? Figure that out then set the target and macro
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    I try to stay below 180g. If I can eat that many, you can probably eat more! Men seem to need more than women.