Office lunch ideas at 300 calories or less?

Options
I need some simple ideas as to what I can bring to the office for lunch. I'm looking for ideas under 300 calories that will keep me satisfied until my 3:30 snack. I'm willing to cook ahead of time on Sunday and microwave leftovers (as long as it'll stay good for 5-6 days) or have a grab-and-go type of meal.

I used to do natural peanut butter and sugar free jam sandwiches, but I needed a change. I did soup for a week and got absolutely sick of it, plus the sodium content was way too high. Then I got weak and did those three cheese and spinach Lean Pockets for a week, but gained two pounds so I learned my lesson there. I really don't want to do frozen pre-packaged meals like SmartOnes because of sodium and ridiculously small serving sizes. This week I'm taking a plain bagel thin (110 calories) and putting lean ham slices and Swiss cheese on it, but it's not as good as I expected. I do like to eat the same thing for the entire week and switch it up week-to-week because it saves me from having to spend money on 5 separate recipes each week. I don't want to take dinner leftovers because we normally eat leftovers the following night and eating the same thing for four meals is sure to cause me to order lunch out, which is no bueno.

I DON'T do salad, so no salad suggestions please. Veggie-heavy meals probably aren't going to work for me either. It doesn't have to be 100% clean, just a decently healthy meal that won't set me back. I just need something convenient for the office.

Replies

• natalkaa
    natalkaa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have you considered wraps?
    dempsters has whole wheat or whole grain for 100kcal per wrap
    then add an eggwhite, mustard, and a few pickle slices OR you can do a slice of turkey breast, mustard, tomato, and bit of lettuce
    =150kcal so you can make 2 and that leaves me more than satisfied
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hey, provide me options but not this this this this or this. Seriously? :grumble:
    Why don't you go for the foods you enjoy, and cut down the portion sizes to fit for your meal size!?!

Lean meats like chicken or fish are awesome choices, and consider some kind of healthy carb. The protein is what will keep you fuller longer, so use most of your allotment for your meal on that!
  • MichelleLee1978
    MichelleLee1978 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump for more suggestions as well. Thanks OP! :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Turkey or chicken wraps:
    2 tbsp light mayo
    2 tbsp pesto
    250g cooked turkey or chicken, shredded
    lettuce
    spring onions
    4 tortillas

Mix together the mayo and pesto. Divide the rest of the ingredients between the tortillas and drizzle the sauce over.

Per tortilla:
    Cals - 267
    Carbs - 25
    Protein - 24
    Fat - 9

Tuna pasta

1 medium chopped red onion
    2 tbsp pesto
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cans of tuna in spring water or brine
    200g cooked pasta
    6 cherry tomatoes

Mix all ingredients together and divide into 4 portions.

Cals - approx 200
    Carbs - 12
    Protein - 19
    Fat - 7
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe for Cuban Pork & Rice; I don't add the shrimp but I do add extra veggies because I love them. This makes a large batch that freezes well (I wouldn't eat any food that's been in the fridge for 4+ days). I portion it into single serving containers and put it in the freezer. Pop one in the fridge the night before and microwave to reheat.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/cuban-style-pork-rice
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a lot of restrictions. Stick to your PB/jam sandwiches.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Chili! I made chili in the slow cooker with ground turkey and it's perfect to bring with (assuming you have a microwave/fridge at work). And it's under 250 cals.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I batch cook at weekends and freeze individual portions of stew-type things that will microwave well.

Mushroom quinoa pilaff
    Pork and barley stew
    Ratatouille
    Chorizo and chickpea
    Chilli

I'd find eating the same thing every day for 5 days very odd.

What is it about salads you dont like?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of pinto beans, 1/2 an avocado, 1 corn tortilla. That clocks in around 280 or so.
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the "lots of restrictions" comments, they have just as many themselves. I am fairly similar to you in that I rather eat less of something good than a giant bowl of veggies/salads.

Chicken will get you really far at lunch time. I make crockpot salsa chicken on Sundays and it lasts all week. I can eat it plain, on a wrap, or mixed with veggies.

Wraps in general are good, there's some healthier options for the shells. Try to stay away from lunch meat and come up with some fun mixes of what you like. I do a lot of black bean, cheese, corn and avocado wraps. They taste good microwaved into quesadillas too.
  • tamzinb10
    tamzinb10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know you said no soup, but this is amazing, low cal, low fat and low sodium. Really easy to make in advance and it almost more stewy than soupy:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1499/moroccan-chickpea-soup
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey, provide me options but not this this this this or this. Seriously? :grumble:
    Why don't you go for the foods you enjoy, and cut down the portion sizes to fit for your meal size!?!

Lean meats like chicken or fish are awesome choices, and consider some kind of healthy carb. The protein is what will keep you fuller longer, so use most of your allotment for your meal on that!

Get outta here with that kind of logic
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the "lots of restrictions" comments, they have just as many themselves. I am fairly similar to you in that I rather eat less of something good than a giant bowl of veggies/salads.

Chicken will get you really far at lunch time. I make crockpot salsa chicken on Sundays and it lasts all week. I can eat it plain, on a wrap, or mixed with veggies.

Wraps in general are good, there's some healthier options for the shells. Try to stay away from lunch meat and come up with some fun mixes of what you like. I do a lot of black bean, cheese, corn and avocado wraps. They taste good microwaved into quesadillas too.
    ]

OOH!!! What is salsa chicken? is it just chicken with Salsa? Sounds heavenly!!! :)
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I like to buy Morningstar products. Microwave them and put them on an Healthy Life or Thomas English muffin. Then I have a Dannon Light and Fit greek yogurt or a Fiber One 90 calorie bar and it comes in under 300. I feel like I had a hot sandwich and dessert. My diary is open and your goals are similar to mine other than I do have to get out of the office a couple times a week.
  • FindMyInnerAthlete
    Options
    I like to have 4 ounces of ground turkey (160 calories) with half of a cup of brown rice (75 calories) with half of a cup to a cup of diced tomatoes (30-60 calories) with 2 spoonfuls of sauteed onions (15-30 calories). That's 280 - 325 calories. It's almost like a spaghetti to me. I love it!
  • JessicaElliott5292
    Options
    I bring in Stir-Fries a lot - chicken/ turkey with lots of veggies: peppers, mushrooms, onions, cabbage, mangetout (usual stir fry veg) - make at home the night and they can be eaten cold or warm and you can make them different by the sauces you use :)
    They can be frozen too which always means you have a meal in the freezer.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    One of the things I make and love to have for lunches is spinach lasagna made with fresh spinach and whole grain noodles, lots of cheese and if you need meat use ground turkey breast.

Breakfast casserole is another option, you can put all kinds of goodies in that and you don't have to eat it for breakfast.

If you're looking to avoid sodium you'll really want to avoid processed meats as well as many of the bread/wraps you'd use to make sandwiches.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

As for those of you getting on my case about the restrictions - I did that to avoid wasting the time of people that were planning on answering with "bring a salad!" Are there not foods you don't like? Excuse me for trying to narrow down the search and tailor it so the answers would actually be useful to me. If you don't have anything helpful to say, feel free to move on without posting a reply.
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's just chicken, lots of salsa, and a packet of taco seasoning, cooked for 6 hours in the crockpot. We've omitted the seasoning before and it was still good!
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What do you usually eat in the evening for dinner? What I usually do is make two extra servings of whatever I made and bring them for lunch for myself and my hubby. I don't have a problem eating the same thing two meals in a row but I understand how eating the same thing for a week gets boring. Sometimes when I make soups, I make a lot then freeze it in individual servings. That way I can eat them whenever and i'm not getting burnt out on other stuff. I never eat frozen meals or canned soup (or salad for that matter) so I totally get your point. I like just tuna (no mayo or anything) on crackers with baybel or laughing cow cheese and a cherry tomato on top. Pretty filling and it covers most of your food groups and it's easy to make at lunchtime. :)