my TDEE is different from MFP

Options
I just did the TDEE thing people talk about on here, and its most definitely not the same as MFPs calculations. MFP was more calories for the same loss can anyone explain?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculation is NOT TDEE, unless you do no exercise.

That's why their selection of activity levels has no comments about exercise - exercise doesn't count until actually done and logged.

Then your TDEE goes up, then the same deficit is taken, then your eating goal goes up.

Also, MFP takes deficit as block of calories, 250, 500, 750, 1000 - depending on your choice.

TDEE deficit method usually takes % off.

So if you don't exercise, usually similar goals if the deficit is the same.

If you do exercise, usually similar if you add up a week of MFP and average it out daily, which is what the TDEE method is doing.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    MFP's calculation is NOT TDEE, unless you do no exercise.

That's why their selection of activity levels has no comments about exercise - exercise doesn't count until actually done and logged.

Then your TDEE goes up, then the same deficit is taken, then your eating goal goes up.

Also, MFP takes deficit as block of calories, 250, 500, 750, 1000 - depending on your choice.

TDEE deficit method usually takes % off.

So if you don't exercise, usually similar goals if the deficit is the same.

If you do exercise, usually similar if you add up a week of MFP and average it out daily, which is what the TDEE method is doing.
    ok gotcha
  • jacquiearchambault
    Options
    lost and getting a headache! JK! I don't know what these all mean...I guess I will catch on eventually.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    I think i'm getting it still trying to understand a lot of this, including calories per day and how much you burn every day without excersize
  • heybales
    Options
    MFP said my daily calories burned is 3,000, TDEE its 2275

You are likely confusing Diet goals with Fitness goals - there is no math between the 2.

And it's confusing because MFP puts them together during setup like they are.

Again, leave TDEE out of any numbers MFP gives you, because they don't use TDEE, unless you happen to do no exercise.
    Otherwise it just confuses things.

Where does MFP say your daily calories burned is 3000?
    Is that after you logged a workout? Then you could consider that your TDEE for that day.

Where does it say 2275?
    Is that what MFP calls maintenance?
    That's your BMR x a non-exercise activity factor based on your choice (Sedentary is 1.25).

There are also Fitness goals, where you can put in goal minutes, sessions, and calories. No bearing on Diet goals.
  • heybales
    Options
    I think i'm getting it still trying to understand a lot of this, including calories per day and how much you burn every day without excersize

You burn alot.
    Your biggest burn is what you use for basic metabolism functions, your BMR, probably upwards of 1400-1600 or more depending on weight.
    Then your non-exercise activity, daily spontaneous movement, probably 300-500 or more depending on job. This is the MFP selection of activity levels.
    Then probably your exercise burn, which could be more than daily.
    Then calories burned to process food is smallest.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    Read this link and all of the links in it. It will take you awhile to get through all of it, but it is worth it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920