5 Pounds away from goal, questions about maintaining.....??

Options
Hi Guys,

I am about 5 pounds away from my goal weight and I was wondering what I should move my calorie intake to so I can maintain once I hit that goal. Right now I am at about 1200 calories a day. I also have questions about what type of workout regime I should be doing. Right now I do about an hour of zumba a day, as well as about an hour of strength training. I want to tone up more than anything, in arms, legs and stomach. Does anyone have a good idea of what kind of exercises I could be doing to get those results? thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I crept myself up about 100 calories per week or two until I stopped losing. For me, the recommended maintenance level still made me lose a little so I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active...another 200 calories per day...that worked.

Also - trying to increase the caloric intake too fast was uncomfortable.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To tone my body I am doing body pump 60 minutes 3x per week . Body pump is lifting weights and is excellent to tone your body. and I do cardio 2x per week 40 minutes. I had been do it since 2011, and maintained my weight to 153-157,I am 5'7", I gained weight, 15 pounds on Nov.-Jan, and most friends say that I don't look like I gained 15 pounds. I think is because I don't stop going to the gym.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you want that nice toned look, it's time to work on your muscles. You can try New Rules of Lifting for Women, that's what I've been doing, or there are other programs people recommend around here too - Stronglifts and Starting Strength, I think?

Up your calories starting now, and do it slowly. You'll keep losing those last few pounds as you find your maintenance. The person who suggested an extra 100 calories a week is probably right, though you have been eating very little so you may need to increase a little more as you start lifting to fuel your workouts (a high-protein after-workout snack and/or a quick carb pre-workout snack should be all you need!)
  • ktkdmommy
    ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I can't wait to start upping my calories as 1200 a day still left me so hungry!!