Why you don't trust machine calorie counts

Options
We always tell people not to trust the "calories burned" number on cardio equipment, and here's an example of why:

I have a BodyMedia Fit, which tells me how many calories I burn as I go about my day. I have the display device, which I can set to show how many calories I burned during a workout.

I got on my treadmill, plugged in all my stats, and did a 5 mile walk/jog. Machine calories: 701 BMF calories: 462

That's almost a 250 calorie difference. So those of you who think "Wow! I burned 800 calories on the elliptical!" think again.

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I go by what the machine tells me, I always come out LOWER than what my HRM tells me. My HRM pretty much always gives me a higher burn, at least when I'm running.
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the machine either...35 minutes on the elliptical equals 400 calories according to the machine, but only about 250-300 on my watch. It's just 100 calories, but those calories can start to add up if you let them.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I think it may also depend on whether or not you use a HRM that is recognized by the cardio equipment.

Recently I was using an 2 yr. old HRM as mine is being repaired and I noticed that the HRM in those instances (3 workouts) gave a significantly higher calorie burn than the machine (even thought the data is coming from the HRM only, as I did NOT touch the handles at all)... Not only that, but I noticed my treadmill neighbors screens were showing the EXACT same number of calories on mine said. AND the numbers kept dropping off the display on the treadmill...Techno gagdet FAIL :cry:

I :heart: my gadgets!! Can't wait to either buy a new HRM or (hopefully) current one is repaired properly (Polar F7, Bluetooth).

Edited for typos.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I run on a treadmill, I end up with three sources that have a huge variation. I go with the Runner's World calculator, which I believe to be the most accurate and always the lowest number, and I never eat back all those calories. I can tell you than I'm hitting my 1 lb. per week goal that way.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    When I go by what the machine tells me, I always come out LOWER than what my HRM tells me. My HRM pretty much always gives me a higher burn, at least when I'm running.

Same here! The machine I use will tell me like 300 and my HRM says like 400. Usually about 100-150 lower. I usually just go inbetween the two devices to play it safe!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There is so much variation between machines that I think they are totally unreliable.

Over the last few years I have developed a pretty good sense of my calorie burns based on my intake and weight trends, and I know that I tend to burn 9-10 kcal per minute doing fairly intense cardio exercises. This is roughly in line with my HRM.

The LifeCycle I use is close to correct. The rowing machine I use gives what I think is a slight underestimate.

But the Life Fitness elliptical I use provides a laughably high estimate: more than 20 kcal/min, even though it asks for a weight as an input, and even when it syncs with my Polar HRM. Ludicrous! It makes me think less of Life Fitness that it would do so poorly. It's hard to believe it's anything but an underhanded marketing gimmick.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't trust machines or HRM or any other device that is used out there to count calories burned...

HRM are notoriously incorrect as well depending on exercise, setup, user etc...same with other devices.

Hence the reason I don't care about my burns...and use TDEE.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this, I have probably been too trusting of the machines. I've always left some calories for error margin, I should leave more it appears.