Calorie Help

Options
Hi everyone, I am just looking for a little help here. When I joined I put my lifestyle as sedentary and am on a 1400 calorie goal for the day. I have a job in which I sit at a desk all day long therefore I don't move very much and certainly the exercises I do compared to my former activity level are minimal. I do yoga 20 - 30 mins 3-5 times a week with some (a few minutes of lifting 5 pound weights, once or twice a week) strength training added in and I usually walk/jog a few miles on the weekends.
I am beginning to wonder, however, If my calorie goal is too low. I dropped ten pounds the first few weeks and haven't dropped anything else since. My measurements are relatively the same as well. My question for everyone is am I eating too few calories?
I'm 5'9" at 155 pounds and I would like to tone up and hit about 135-140 range again. I have noticed some toning and changes, but I would really like to see these continue. I don't know if I've hit a slowing point where I need to readjust or if I'm just being impatient.
Help and Input is much appreciated!

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    based on your goals, I recommend lifting heavy 3x per week. Doing deadlifts, squats, presses. Do not let the weights scare you. Unless you're taking illegal steroids or other forms of testosterone, you will not get big and bulky. Using 5 pound weights for a few minutes is nearly useless.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You are probably being a tad impatient.

Nonetheless, I threw your numbers into this (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ with some guessing on my part about your age) and came up with your BMR at about 1500 and your TDEE at 2000.

Do you eat back any exercise calories you log?

You don't have a lot to lose. If it were me, I'd shoot for closer to 1500 per day total in calories (a little more on days you exercise, if you find yourself hungry). BUT!! I'd be super, extra, mega, ultra careful about weighing things. Since being just a little off on things can put you up towards your maintenance calories.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    based on your goals, I recommend lifting heavy 3x per week. Doing deadlifts, squats, presses. Do not let the weights scare you. Unless you're taking illegal steroids or other forms of testosterone, you will not get big and bulky. Using 5 pound weights for a few minutes is nearly useless.
    bingo.

check out new rules of lifting for women, starting strength, or stronglifts as programs. hook up with a trainer to get your form taken care of and perfected, then roll with it.

Also, 1400 calories sounds low. Is that your net for the day.. or do you add in exercise calories?
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I know they aren't much, but at the moment they are all I have access too. Rural area - no gym for about 30-45 miles. I've never used weights before in my life either. These were purchased in an effort to start, but I have no idea really what to do with them other than a few exercise ideas found around the net. I suppose I need to start looking for more information on it!
  • Asherah29
    Options
    You are probably being a tad impatient.

Nonetheless, I threw your numbers into this (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ with some guessing on my part about your age) and came up with your BMR at about 1500 and your TDEE at 2000.

Do you eat back any exercise calories you log?

You don't have a lot to lose. If it were me, I'd shoot for closer to 1500 per day total in calories (a little more on days you exercise, if you find yourself hungry). BUT!! I'd be super, extra, mega, ultra careful about weighing things. Since being just a little off on things can put you up towards your maintenance calories.

I'm 29. Its not a whole lot to lose and my BMI is in a healthy range, I'm just totally out of shape and having been a fit person all my life I would like to get back into shape. I have a food scale on the way to hopefully that will help too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    well considering you are already in a good weight range, you probably want to refocus your efforts to more resistance training. One thing I would ask, do you use a food scale to weigh your foods?
  • Asherah29
    Options
    bingo.

check out new rules of lifting for women, starting strength, or stronglifts as programs. hook up with a trainer to get your form taken care of and perfected, then roll with it.

Also, 1400 calories sounds low. Is that your net for the day.. or do you add in exercise calories?

I usually eat back about half my exercise calories. It sounds like I'm going to have to go badger somebody in town with a weights set and see if I can get them to let me work out!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I know they aren't much, but at the moment they are all I have access too. Rural area - no gym for about 30-45 miles. I've never used weights before in my life either. These were purchased in an effort to start, but I have no idea really what to do with them other than a few exercise ideas found around the net. I suppose I need to start looking for more information on it!
    "you are your own gym" is an option.

craigslist? walmart? you don't have to go to a gym to have access to the very little bit of equipment needed to start. good luck with it.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    well considering you are already in a good weight range, you probably want to refocus your efforts to more resistance training. One thing I would ask, do you use a food scale to weigh your foods?
    I do not have one currently, but I have one ordered and on the way.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Thank You. Everyone seems to be advocating weights so I think I will look into it!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    "you are your own gym" is an option.

craigslist? walmart? you don't have to go to a gym to have access to the very little bit of equipment needed to start. good luck with it.

Resistance bands and selecttech dumbbells are a great option as well.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    I was not such a fan of resistance bands when I tried them before, but it never hurts to give it a second go!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I was not such a fan of resistance bands when I tried them before, but it never hurts to give it a second go!
    Personally, i use selectttech dumbells, resistance bands, med balls and push up stands in my workouts. Find what works for you. I mostly use resistance bands for pull ups since I can't do them. So i have a door attachment....
  • Asherah29
    Options
    I'm just really going to have to look into it. I have virtually no experience with them, but then everyone has to start somewhere!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You could always get a set of weights. 5s, 10s, 15s and 20s will be fine for you for a while. Weight training is great. I think you're going to like it :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm just really going to have to look into it. I have virtually no experience with them, but then everyone has to start somewhere!

Don't start with crazy weights right off the bat, or you'll hurt so much you'll have to take time off. Start slow (I started with my own body weight as resistance, doing squats, lunges, triceps dips with a chair, and pushups). Then build up as you tolerate. You should be able to do that fairly quickly, but if you pick up 10 lb dumbbells right away and start working muscles you haven't been using, it's going to hurt.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will start out small and build my way up. I certainly don't want to be sore.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Thank you, the building up of weight is a great idea!