Relying heavily on protein powder

Options
Now that I know the importance of getting adequate protein while on a calorie deficit, I've upped my intake to 120g. I can't believe I used to get MAYBE 30g a day - no wonder my nails were falling apart! Kind of scary.

Anyways, I've started using whey protein powder to increase this macro. I'll eat meat, but don't really enjoy it and I don't want to have to force it down just to get more protein. Is it ok if I use 2-3 scoops a day to meet my protein goal?

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I mostly have a protein shake on the days I exercise.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily bad, as long as you're getting proper nutrients elsewhere but I don't see how you'd need to use so much. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, some lentils, quinoa, peanut butter, jerkey, cheese are some other options. Your meat is where you get your biggest source of protein but again, if you're not a fan.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    shouldn't be an issue as long as the quality is there but that being said...

I used to use a lot too...then I started checking lables.

If you aren't keen on meat try

Cheese and pick low or non fat if you want to save the calories my fav is non fat cottage
    Greek yogurt is the bomb...I eat a yoplait one that is 50 calories, non fat and 8g of protien per
    Egg whites are great too

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the answer, too. I am always under on protein, and when I do come close to goal, I'm way over on fat. I can only eat so much chicken.....
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sure why not, it's not the healthiest source of protein and it won't fill you up but it's an option.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my meat but being able to have a "shake" at breakfast after I work out and being able to get 50g of protein in IMMEDIATELY for me is a MAJOR plus. I use Isopure Whey Low/No Carb Protein Powder. One shake in the morning gives me 50g of protein. The rest I get from fish, chicken, greek yogurt and the like. I wind up with a good 140-150g a day. :)
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I get 96grams of protein a day from shakes. Its just easier to consume than making food.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing. Like you, I find it hard to hit a 100+ protein goal without a protein powder supplement. That being said, there's tons of other vital nutrients in things like beans, meat, nuts, eggs, cheese, milk, etc., that your body needs. Supplements are just that. Supplements. Relying on supplements for the long term means you're gonna miss some important elements/minerals/vitamins.

Sourcing 80% your protein solely from whey means there's enzymes/minerals/amino acids you WILL be missing in your diet. Without those enzymes, you WILL NOT absorb all of the nutrients you eat. You can take all the vitamins you want, but without the co-enzymes and stuff found in real food, you'll miss the benefits of those vitamins and literally piss them down the toilet.

In the least, buy a couple different brands/kinds of protein powder and alternate which one you use. Just think about it, ok?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Aside from convenience, I don't think that protein powder is ever the optimal choice over eating whole foods, but at the same time I don't see why it would hurt you. Just be careful what protein powder you buy - some taste great but it's because they're practically a milk shake with plenty of fat and sugar in addition to protein. Personally I would stick with something where the calories are predominantly from protein.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I used to do lots of PP,,and will probably again when I get busy IF summer ever arrives! I have started to use a lot of egg whites in place of PP for at least one meal a day as I am trying to get my macros better,,and I like eggs I just dont really want to take the time to make them when I can be outside doing something..according to MFP 6 egg whites is just over 100 cal.and I throw in a handfull of kale,mushrooms,onion,whatever I want and I fry it all up in butter..its really good! seriously I can go for 4-5 hours on this before I need a snack.The PP I like the best is Shaklee 180..mixes really well,taste the best I think so far,and doesnt have a ton of sodium like some other brands,
  • AvaMusnicki
    AvaMusnicki Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've done exactly the same thing and upped my protein by adding protein powders. I've been doing this for nearly 2 months now, with working out 3-6 times a week (HIIT and strength) and have been losing fat and gaining strength.

I drink a protein shake about 3 times a day and so they serve as my snacks around my 3 meals. I actually use a variety of protein powders. In the morning I have Garden of Life Raw Fit™ High Protein for Weight Loss Marley Coffee flavor. Its really thick and gritty so I usually split that one scoop into two servings and dilute it with cooled coffee and d drink that before and/or after breakfast. This protein is a plant based sprouted protein blend.

Then post-workout I'll do Progenex Whey Loca Mocha flavor. So yummy!

Then right before bed I'll drink casein - Gold Standard Natural 100% Casein chocolate flavor - which is a slower digesting protein.

My diary is open if you want some ideas. :) Good luck and hopefully you can find some good protein powders. I've found I hate vanilla flavored ones and now stuck with giganormous bags I purchased not realizing I won't like the favor lol. BUT also found these vanilla ones make great "protein balls" rolled with coconut flour, vanilla and dipped in dark chocolate. :)