Advice please - okay to run with a tight calf?

Options
Okay, I am worried I may have my first running injury, although I'm not actually hurting. But my left calf is very tight, even after a complete rest day yesterday.

Two things have happened recently - I got new shoes, and I had my longest run in a year. (I was pregnant last year, stopped running with a half marathon at almost 6 months and then ended up on activity restrictions due to the heat wave that hit my area. That said while it's been a year since I've run 7 miles, I did build up to this gradually and ran a 10K two weeks ago, then 5 miles last week.) The new shoes are also neutral runners - I have been evaluated and told I supinate, so to buy neutral shoes. My last pair was mizuno waveriders 15, this time I bought two pairs - asics gel cumulus 13s and saucony powergrid cortanas. The 7 miler was in the saucony pair. I felt amazing during the run and did end up pushing pace because I just felt so good - the shoes were noticably more cushy than my worn out mizunos.

But yesterday when I woke up I noticed my left calf was very tight and if I try to massage it I can induce pain. It is tight when walking too, but no pain unless I apply more than casual pressure - in other words I have to really try to apply a decent amount of pressure to get the muscle or tendon or whatever it is to protest. I haven't tried to run yet because I don't want to be stupid and run on an injury only to myself out of commision.

I figure one of two things happened - I felt too good and pushed too hard on my longest run in a while, or my body isn't used to the extra cushioning since my mizunos were so worn out. My feet feel great! It's just that calf now.

What do y'all think?

Replies

• pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd be tempted to say that you pushed yourself too much on your run, and potentially didn't cool your muscles down enough afterwards. Tightness after a long or hard run certainly isn't uncommon, and you've definitely done the right thing in taking a rest day. I'd say just keep an eye on it today and see how it is tomorrow, and make sure you're taking time to stretch and massage the muscle in the meantime (foam rolling is also absolutely marvellous if you're not doing it already.)

If it feels okay tomorrow or the day after, I'd suggest trying a short run at a comfortable pace and seeing how it feels throughout. If the pain returns, I'd recommend getting to a physio and having them take a look at it, and also going to a different running store (assuming your gait was analysed at the same store you bought your shoes from) and have them analyse there (or with the physio, or whomever.) It could be that you are, unfortunately, in the wrong shoes.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    My calves feel tight pretty often after really long or hilly or strenuous runs. I just stretch and roll them out really well and hit it again the next day.

Not saying that's what you should do or that it's even a smart thing to do but it's what I do.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you have one of those styrofoam rollers . It works wonders for tight muscles . I'd try that and mine stopped hurting the next day after using it . Now I use it before and after exercising about every other day . It's painful at first but feels so good after a while !

Good luck
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor. It's so hard to tell otherwise. You may want to go for a longish walk though just to see if the exercise helps give you some relief. That said, a week skipping running is better than making an injury worse though so be cautious.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What I would do is probably try the run, but if it starts to hurt then STOP and go buy a foam roller. Stay off of it for a day and stretch/roll it.
    If it's not an actual injury, it's possible that it will stretch out during the workout and feel better after the run. But like I said, if it actually hurts, don't push it and turn it into something worse.

You just have to listen to your body!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! It's hard because it doesn't actually hurt unless I really try to deep tissue massage it, so part of me thinks I'm being paranoid and part of me says if I'm not then I'll really regret it!

Yesterday was a total rest day - I think maybe I'll do a gentle elliptical workout today and try an easy run tomorrow and see. I'm not ready to go to a doctor to say "Yeah I'm here because my leg /doesn't/ hurt haha so I'll try stretching and gently working out and see how it goes.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Well, I think it was actually my achilles I tweaked, looking at some anatomy diagrams. It feels fine today after two days of rest as I didn't work out at all yesterday out of paranoia...I'm going to try a gentle run tonight and see how it goes. It doesn't hurt or twinge or feel tight on movement at all but it does ache a little if I deep massage it, so we'll see. I'll cut it short if it feels at all weird.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Tight calves are always a problem for runners at some point. Try tonight and see how you feel. Your calves will generally be a tad sore but should resolve itself during a cool down walk. If it doesn't completely after using a foam roller or ice pack, I'd go see a doctor
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Fortunately I feel great after a 3 mile run tonight. So who knows, maybe I just pushed it a bit too hard and my leg was telling me "Don't do that, idiot."
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Glad your calf is good now! It probably was just a case of pushing it a bit much, then, and it's good sign that you listened to your body instead of attempting to run through it and potentially injuring yourself. Good luck with future runs!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Me too! That was scary, I have big plans for this year and they don't include getting hurt! I've had shin splints before as a newbie but that was because I didn't know I needed to get fitted for shoes - I thought you just went out there and ran. Having an actual injury was a scary thought, I was so nervous going into that run!

Thanks again!