water retention and weight gain on calorie deficit

Options
Has anyone put on a few kilos after weighing in despite being on a calorie deficit and realised it's probably water retention from carbs plus sodium? If so, have those people weighed back on a few days later after eliminating the sodium and found they had weight loss again???

Replies

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    yes and yes, happens all the time if i don't watch my water intake, too little and it doesn't flush the sodium, I've had 3-4 pound swings over a few days
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have. I usually have a cheat day on Saturdays. While I don't go crazy overboard, the foods I tend to eat contain a lot of sodium, and this will make you retain for a day, two, possibly 3. This just happened to me over this past weekend. As of this morning, I dropped 3.5lbs. As long as you don't have a high sodium intake throughout the week, you will lose again. I'm just realizing now how stubborn sodium can be, so I'm trying to keep it at a minimum in my normal routine!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have. I usually have a cheat day on Saturdays. While I don't go crazy overboard, the foods I tend to eat contain a lot of sodium, and this will make you retain for a day, two, possibly 3. This just happened to me over this past weekend. As of this morning, I dropped 3.5lbs. As long as you don't have a high sodium intake throughout the week, you will lose again. I'm just realizing now how stubborn sodium can be, so I'm trying to keep it at a minimum in my normal routine!
    yep Sodium is a bugger - particularly when you eat out. A local paper here does nutrition analysis on items locally and chain related and it's astounding how much is in everything out there (a starbucks grande hot chocolate made with 2% and no whipped cream has 160 milligrams and 290 calories - its a drink for pete's sake and the supposed healthy version - one of the popular canadian hot chocolates Tim Hortons has 460 milligrams of sodium and 300 calories)