Smith Machine

Options
2»

Replies

• nightshutter
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness, and they don't have regular benches or squat racks, so i use the Smith Machines. I feel it's better than nothing.....

Yes, it's a bummer they don't.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I am moving from the machines to the "free weight" area of the gym and I feel like I have better control of the bar with the smith machine than just the bar. Once i feel better i will probably go to just the bar. I am doing squats, toe raises, upright row.

Check out goblet squats. The movement is more similar to a barbell squat than what you're going to get with the Smith machine so it will carry over a lot better when you get to barbell work.

^ This is solid advice. Goblet squats are easy and a nice transition into barbell squats.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Trainers at my gym teach people to do quarter-squats with a padded bar on the smith machine. Oh, and incline push ups using the bar in the power rack. I can't believe people pay for that sht, but they do.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I use it for donkey kicks.....
    Some people use it for mobility issues, or because they are lifting really heavy without a spotter.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This post is out of interest only. There is no right or wrong answer, but I am interested to know why you use a Smith Machine?

Everything you can do on a Smith Machine, you can do without it. I see people Bench Pressing, Deadlifting, Sitting Military Press, Squatting, and some other moves. But, all of those can be done with a barbell. A barbell, in my view, allows for the freedom of movement, which is extremely important in doing the movements correctly.

Again, I am not criticizing. The Smith machine is very popular at my gym, and is constantly in use. I am interesting in your reasons for using the Smith Machine. Are there advantages I am not aware of? Are they good for people with injuries?

And, besides all that, I am also interested in the real purpose of the Smith Machine. Why was it created?

Hopefully, this will be a respectful thread. I'm truly not trying to stir up trouble or anything. Just interested.

It's just a tool. It's safer, and your quads will get massive if you use it correctly.

Also, pushups. I see people doing pushups in the smith machine, so apparently that's also a use. :tongue: