Anyone else super intimidating to start lifting?

Options
I don't know what it is. I'm generally not that intimidated to start new exercise routines or to make a fool of myself, but for some reason, I can't seem to get going on this whole "heavy lifting" thing.

I've read the dozens and dozens of success stories, and I'm wowed by the results. Weight-wise I'm generally where I want to be (5 more lbs off would be nice, but if I can get the body shape I want, the numbers on the scale don't mean that much to me.

As way of background, I am 39 years old, currently 112 lbs, and my goal (as vain as it sounds) is to feel strong in my body and look slamming in a bikini.

I generally exercise 3-5 days a week (usually 3x/week of some "body sculpting" type class at the gym) and running for cardio (1-2x week).

I don't care what a fool I look like in the gym normally, but I am so intimidated by his whole lifting thing.

I'm worried about bad form and injuring myself.

I talked to 2 trainers in my gym about it, and they gently tried to persuade me otherwise (again citing possible injury) and it is causing me to question it more.

But, I kinda, really, really want to try it and see what it does for my body.

Anyone have stories about how to overcome the fear or how they eased into by themselves?

Replies

• GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Get out there and pick a basic lifting routine. Next, go to Youtube and watch videos for each move. Then get out there and start out using light weight until you learn good form. Focus on the muscle you are contracting, not what others are doing around you. No one that is serious about their OWN lifting cares what others are doing. I don't even notice others. Lastly, MAKE FRIENDS by asking those that know what they are doing questions. Most will be willing to answer if you make your conversation brief and are considerate of the fact that they usually only rest 1-4 minutes between sets. Make your question brief, thank them and then say hi in passing from then on. In the future, ask the same person follow up questions in the locker room or on their way in or out of the gym. Do this with a couple people and you will be mentored into it. :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Knowledge banish's fear.

Edcuate yourself.

pick a routine- practice the thigns at home- if it's barbell training- do it with a broom stick.

write your program down
    practice it at home
    write it down before you go to the gym
    Go at low volume hours-
    bang it out

also check this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

should help.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If risk of injury is your main concern, you'll be happy to know that it was/is MY main concern when I began lifting two months ago. What I did:

1. I bought and read Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength.
    2. I started small. There's no reason to try to prove how much you can lift, now. Start with the weight YOU are comfortable starting with. In my case, I started with the Oly bar on squats and deads and the standard bar on Overhead presses and bench presses.
    3. I videoed myself and compared it to other form vids.
    4. I posted my form vids to Eat, Train, Progress and got feedback there.
    5. I FINALLY found a trainer who would help me solely with form on Olympic lifts.
    6. I listened to (and continue to listen to) what my body tells me. There's a complete difference between, "Oh. This is challenging." and "Oh, crap. I think I'm about to blow out my knees." Know the difference, and act accordingly.

So far, so good. I'm definitely a cautious person, so if I can do it, then you can, too.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Second endorsement for Rip's Starting Strength. Buy the book. Read the book. Dominate. That is all.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I got into it by reading the success stories on here. I had dabbled with machines at the gym and enjoyed that but never tried free weights. About the same time as I was getting inspired on here my husband invested in a home gym. Weight stack, squat rack, bench press and free weights. I got a programme of bodybuilding.com (Jamie reasons live fit trainer) and never looked back. I had a break for a while to concentrate on running but currently doing strong lifts, running and focus t25. I love lifting my shoulders are the body part I am proudest of. I have a way to go but am proud of my achievements so far. Give it a go you will love it and the results. I feel so bad *kitten* when I barbell squat and deadlift LOL.
  • greenfreak72
    greenfreak72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else, once you get into a routine, the newness and fear goes away and you'll forget how nervous you were. You know I was in the same boat only last month, I just considered it another challenge, and one I had to force myself to make the first time. Do it for a week, I guarantee that the initial embarrassment will be greatly reduced or gone.

I'm really surprised trainers dissuaded you. That's awful. If they're not knowledgeable enough to help you with your goal and teach you how to do things the right way, they weren't worth your time anyway.

Did I send you my plan? What if you tried one new exercise per week, I can give you a video of what it should look like (either one of me or one from online) and tips, and then you build from there?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump to read after work tonight
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you are really intimidated, hire a trainer for one or two sessions. They can set up a routine and show you proper form. I was worried about starting weight lifting but with a little help from a trainer I learned to love it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i was totally afraid of embarassing myself at the gym. the machines are weird, and i'm never sure how to set them up right, and i'm afraid i'd be the two plate guy.

so i decided to stick to barbells, because those motions seemed easiest. and i figured that i'd go early in the morning, when there are the least amount of people. so i did, and it was great. now i love being the guy their waiting for his gym to open.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I was. Especially the first time I started using "real" weights instead of the machines. Then I realized that a) no one else gives a *kitten* what I'm doing and b) everyone has to start somewhere.

Leave your ego at home - it will be a much better experience for you. Good luck, and be safe.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Knowledge banish's fear.

Edcuate yourself.

pick a routine- practice the thigns at home- if it's barbell training- do it with a broom stick.

write your program down
    practice it at home
    write it down before you go to the gym
    Go at low volume hours-
    bang it out

also check this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

should help.

Thank you! I love the suggestion of practicing at home with a broom stick and writing everything down. I would never of thought of "practicing" form before getting into the gym.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    Just like anything else, once you get into a routine, the newness and fear goes away and you'll forget how nervous you were. You know I was in the same boat only last month, I just considered it another challenge, and one I had to force myself to make the first time. Do it for a week, I guarantee that the initial embarrassment will be greatly reduced or gone.

I'm really surprised trainers dissuaded you. That's awful. If they're not knowledgeable enough to help you with your goal and teach you how to do things the right way, they weren't worth your time anyway.

Did I send you my plan? What if you tried one new exercise per week, I can give you a video of what it should look like (either one of me or one from online) and tips, and then you build from there?

I was honestly surprised they dissuaded me as well. I did find another one who said he was willing to help with strength training only (no cardio/HIIT/etc. which I can manage on my own)

Is the plan the one you posted on LIF? I can definitely use that as a guide and try a new exercise at a time. I would love any videos you can send. I will take a look at it again and probably send more questions!

Thank you for offering to help!
  • Jambalady
    Options
    Second endorsement for Rip's Starting Strength. Buy the book. Read the book. Dominate. That is all.

Thanks! I will check this out.
  • greenfreak72
    Options

Thank you! I love the suggestion of practicing at home with a broom stick and writing everything down. I would never of thought of "practicing" form before getting into the gym.

I still practice with no weights, at the gym, before I do the real thing every time. Form is soooooo important. I try not to get distracted by anything when I'm doing it either.

I send form-check videos to my friend that gave me the plan. He gives me guidance and now that I'm a few weeks in, I can look back and see how far I've come too. :)
  • greenfreak72
    Options

I was honestly surprised they dissuaded me as well. I did find another one who said he was willing to help with strength training only (no cardio/HIIT/etc. which I can manage on my own)

Is the plan the one you posted on LIF? I can definitely use that as a guide and try a new exercise at a time. I would love any videos you can send. I will take a look at it again and probably send more questions!

Thank you for offering to help!

Yes, that's the one. I'm currently helping my friend who is following the plan. She is trying all the exercises and then deciding which ones she likes and which ones she doesn't, and narrowing it down from there.

For anyone else reading, this is a standard push/pull/leg plan. The first day in the gym you push away from your body (ex: bench press), then you rest, second day in the gym you pull (ex: delt row), then you rest, third day you do legs (ex: deadlifts).

My plan is fully body but I am seeing I like to concentrate on certain areas in my spare time, so I could help identify good exercises I've found if you want to specialize.
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    one of my biggest thing to over come the whole gym thing was finding a good app on my phone to log my routine with instead of paper. I didnt want to look like one of the noobs walking around with pen and paper. Nothing against it, just not for me. I use "Free Gym Geek". It is a good app you can plug into 4 workouts into it. Its basically a log book but it has built in timers. So once i go to the gym I can keep a good pace and with a routine in place i know what I am doing.

the best advice i ever got about starting to lift for the first time since high school was that I am a beginner and must lift like a beginner.
    With all the routines out there that are pretty over whelming, you have to start at the beginning and build a solid base.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    If risk of injury is your main concern, you'll be happy to know that it was/is MY main concern when I began lifting two months ago. What I did:

1. I bought and read Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength.
    2. I started small. There's no reason to try to prove how much you can lift, now. Start with the weight YOU are comfortable starting with. In my case, I started with the Oly bar on squats and deads and the standard bar on Overhead presses and bench presses.
    3. I videoed myself and compared it to other form vids.
    4. I posted my form vids to Eat, Train, Progress and got feedback there.
    5. I FINALLY found a trainer who would help me solely with form on Olympic lifts.
    6. I listened to (and continue to listen to) what my body tells me. There's a complete difference between, "Oh. This is challenging." and "Oh, crap. I think I'm about to blow out my knees." Know the difference, and act accordingly.

So far, so good. I'm definitely a cautious person, so if I can do it, then you can, too.

Thank you! All great tips!