PB & Banana granola bars (homemade)

Options
I have been making granola bars at home the past few weeks & last night I decided to try making them with my favorite combination- peanut butter & banana. I was happy with the results-

Butter- 1 tablespoon
Brown sugar- 2 tablespoons
Honey- 2 tablespoons
Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter- 2 tablespoons
Fresh banana- 3/4 banana (small/medium sized)
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats- 1 cup
Wheat germ- 1 tablespoon

Melt the butter, honey, brown sugar, and peanut butter on the stove. Mix in the oats, banana (cut into pieces), and wheat germ. I baked these in a muffin/cupcake pan so that I got equal servings of 6. (I also noticed that granola bars in general, when made at home, are hard to cut into equal pieces without them crumbling! So this muffin tin idea worked beautifully!) I baked these at 300 for about 30-40 mins. I just waited until the tops browned a little and they felt a little firm to touch (so I knew they'd stay together when removing them from pan). I chose to refrigerate them in a zip-loc bag because I am not sure how the fresh banana will hold up to room temp- and they tasted yummy chilled this morning! The nutritional info per bar is as follows-

Calories- 122
Carbs- 20
Fat- 6
Protein- 3

I just used the base recipe for general granila bars & added the pb & banana. In hindsight, I think next time I will try to make them without the butter & honey to decrease some of the fat & carbs. Brown sugar can probably be substituted for Splenda brown sugar
to minimize the sugar and carbs as well. Chunky peanut butter would probably be really yummy too! Oh, and the weight per bar is 39grams which makes them a pretty hefty granola bar compared to the boxed ones which are about 23 or 24 grams! So these have some substance for the 122 calories!
Protein- 3

Replies

• k1979k
    Options
    Yum - they sound good! If you're in to protein powder you could add some chocolate flavour too!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great recipe! thanks.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    oh YUMM!!! totally making these today! :love: :love:
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    I think I will try them. I also love applesauce so I think I will substitute half the brown sugar, honey and butter with unsweetened applesauce. I think I will also add 1 egg white to help bind them. Thanks for sharing, I love trying new recipes and I'll let you know later today how they turned.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Thanks jeanine! I did not know that egg whites help to bind! That's a great tip! My friend uses corn syrup to make her granola bars stick together- but thats not exactly the healthiest ingredient.
    Mmmm... Chocolate, PB, & banana... Yum! The chocolate protein powder is a good idea- that would turn these into power bars :) Great fuel before or after a workout!
  • rosef17
    Options
    thanks for sharing, I have a vacation day tomorrow - making these!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Forgot to mention- add a pinch of salt. It really brings out the flavor.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    What an amazing recipe. So much healthier than the boxed crap from the store. Think I'll try them too, my kids would flip!! I also might try adding a little protein powder. Thanks so much!!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • caryn2010
    caryn2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These sound really yummy, but alas I am allergic to bananas. :((( I miss them terribly. However, I'm sure I could find something add in place of it. :))) But oh....they do sound delicious just as described.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Those sound yummy!
  • dbeinke
    dbeinke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try.
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    These sound yummy!
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUmp
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • k1979k
    Options
    I made these on the weekend, with chocolate protein powder. So good!! Thanks for the recipe :love:
  • fatfromfive
    Options
    Great recipie Thanks!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!