Loosing weight after being trapped in a house for 5 years

Options
Im not one to usually open up about my mental health issues, but on my journey to try an lose weoght I have to identify everything in my life so it cant hold me back anymore. I was diagnosed with ptsd, severe panic disorder and agoraphobia, which led me to not leaving my house for 5 years. I packed on alot of weight because I basically sat in my room 24/7. Doing this journey alone is hard to deal with battling my everyday life and trying to lose weight is just sometimes more anxiety.

I know I can do this and I have already proven doctors wrong that you dont always need medication to help conquer your fear and "fix" yourself.. So I know if i can do that an be able to leave my house I can work this weight off.

Im looking for more people to help me along this journey and hopefully help others along the way. There's no such thing as cant, it starts with yourself and only you can help yourself.

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on how far you have come. My sister had agoraphobia and depression for many years. Still not completely healed but much better. You can do anything you put your mind to. Good luck with your goals.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making it this far!

Good luck on your adventure!

Ps: you have a very lovely smile =]
  • RaineDrops_
    Options
    No way!

I had agoraphobia a couple of years ago and I was also unable to leave my house. Even now, I'm having to do my university degree online because I'm scared s**tless of going to different types of places!

I gained about 70lbs during that time (it's on my profile), because I couldn't go out.

I have recovered 70% without any medication (okay, maybe I used the odd anti-anxiety or two), so you can do it too. I know that losing weight will help me recover fully because it helps with the anxiety. I've lost enough of my life due to agoraphobia as it is... but I know I will one day get over it.

Add me if you like :)

Raine x
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow, it takes tremendous courage to open up about such a sensitive things as mental illness. Congratulations to you. I have had great success using this site (50 lbs since May 2013), and i have met some terrific and positive people. If you want you can add me and i i would love to help you on your journey.
  • Wpatart
    Wpatart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We all have fears which we can allow them to paralyze ourselves. So excited for you that you have made a decision into action - I would love to be a part of your journey and have had the strength to do this in your way in your time - to take ownership back of your life, keep reclaiming your power. You can do this, I like that you put "fix" in " " - this tells me that you already know that your life is something you can control and over time your will conquer these fears as it is just a mind shift away. That you want to reclaim your power, be a stronger person who can accept and love herself for all "faults and strengths".