Weights v Cardio

Options
Which do you prefer???

I know you need a little of both.

Would love to hear what worked or works best for you on your journey....

I just started with weights and finding I love it! I used to cardio myself to death and now taking some tips from my gym trainers that are telling me to go with the weight training... I definitely feel stronger, just hope I get the results I want!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Weights mostly. Cardio means lifting the weights faster. :laugh:
    Although I did recently buy a jump rope and that is fun for now.
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi I was told by my trainers to lose weight and tone I need cardio cardio cardio but I would like to do some weight training at some point lol I feel I have no strength in my arms what so ever
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Some days I would rather run than lift weights; but most of the time, I'd rather lift weights. BUT I still usually do a little cardio after weights anyway.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Let me add this too...in a year and a half of cardio only, I went from a size 10 to an 8. In just over 6 months of strength-training (plus some cardio), I went from a size 8 to now a solid 4.

Yeah, you need both...but at some point, strength-training becomes very important for further success.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    strength-training 4 days/week
    cardio/core 1 day/week

strength training gets my vote...
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Let me add this too...in a year and a half of cardio only, I went from a size 10 to an 8. In just over 6 months of strength-training (plus some cardio), I went from a size 8 to now a solid 4.

Yeah, you need both...but at some point, strength-training becomes very important for further success.

This is what I keep hearing, seeing, reading. I've always heard cardio to burn fat but it seems like cardio is not nearly as important as strength/weight training. I still get my cardio in, esp during the week, 20-30 mins on the treadmill every morning before work. Sure can't hurt and at least I'm moving. In the evenings and on the weekends I add more strength.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hi I was told by my trainers to lose weight and tone I need cardio cardio cardio but I would like to do some weight training at some point lol I feel I have no strength in my arms what so ever

"TONE" is not a real thing.

Do some cardio, lift some weights.

Also, please use punctuation...
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm cardio bunny who lifts!

I like my runs, but lifts 2-3x per week.

Running has helped me shape my legs better than any weight have ever in my life. I was a swimmer, a gymnast, a cheerleader and a volleyball player...... I lifted in high school and in the Air Force....Only in the last 2yrs am I actually proud of my legs! I like and need my runs! But - love seeing new muscles that come from lifting heavy things!!
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Love hearing what works for some and not others!!
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good to know as I would love to lose inches on my legs, will try to mix in a couple runs too!!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the lifting and see a higher portion of my weight loss coming from fat when I do it. I still do cardio and just started taking a boxing class that gets the heart rate up (it isn't a cardio boxing class, it is an actual "beat you in the face" boxing class).

I still do some running, but mostly as warm up work.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on rest days.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

That's not a rest day.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

That's not a rest day.

Truth. I used to do cardio everyday, but I never lost any real amount of body fat until I started resistance training and just cut the cardio back to walking 3xweek.
  • roxannedd1988
    Options
    I like to try and get in equal amounts of both when I can, but I have a tendency to get in more cardio on a regular basis. I am probably around a 65% cardio and 35% weight training lately. It really depends on how often I get to the gym in a given week and if I do the TRX Suspension Straps training every week, which diffidently works my muscles, but it can be cardio intensive also.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Primarily body weight resistance. I've recently started incorporating weights into my resistance work and am hoping to buy shoes so I can start running. The running is more for me personally than for any results. Majority of my weight loss thus far has been through resistance work.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do weights 3x a week and HIIT 2x a week on my off days.
  • mcrane4
    mcrane4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy 5 days a week, Cardio 3-4 times a week because I enjoy it. Weight is coming off good since I incorporated lifting into my routine
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    Urrrgghh what's cardio?
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love the way lifting weights (and I'm not even lifting heavy yet...just 5#-15# dumbbells) makes my body look, and how strong I feel. I do it 3 times a week. Lifting the weights gave me faster results.

I love the activity of cardio...running, cycling, jumping rope, jumping on a trampoline, dancing, stairmill... I find it fun! I do cardio 3-4 times a week. If I need a rest day, it is a cardio day off - not weights.