Hoshin-Martial Arts

Options
I'm having trouble trying to accurately log my martial arts burned calories. I am currently in martial arts once a week on Thursdays from 7-9. We complete a warm up, do a variety of self-defense techniques and then end with a 15 minute meditation. We aren't allowed to wear any jewellery of any sort so a fitbit or device of that nature is out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    IMO, I would just add 200 calories on the day you exercise. But with 5 lbs to lose, your calories look fairly low (unless you are really small).
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm super small. I'm 5'7" and 135 pounds and have a hour glass shape. Thanks for replying, I currently have it set just above 300 calories and was thinking that may be a little too many.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    When I meant small, i mean 4'11, 100 ish lbs, lol. You are quite tall and very good in terms of body weight. Do you do any exercise besides hoshin?
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    Lots :) Monday's is warrior kickboxing for 50 minutes. Wednesday's is warrior fitness for 50 minutes. Thursday's Martial Arts 2 hours. Friday's Warrior Fitness 50 minutes and Saturday is Warrior kickboxing 1 hour or a little over and an hour long walk through the forest with the doggy lol. Warrior fitness is high intensity interval training, he switches it up every time. Sometimes we do cardio sometimes weights. It's crazy though, you can't eat 2 hours before class or you'll throw it all up lol
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So essentially you workout 6-7 hours a week? Also, what are your goals (maintain, weight loss, lose fat)? Because as it stands, for an active woman, you aren't fueling your body very much.

Honestly, I would suggest converting to the TDEE method. This includes exercises as part of your activity level and you form a deficit through a weekly average. For example, my estimated BMR is about 1920 and I workout 5-6 hours a week and I run a 20% deficit (generally accepted reduction). So the math would be 1920 * 1.55 * .8 = 2380.

With that estimate I set my goal to 2400. I eat around that daily. I lose 1 lb a week, so I know my maintenance is around 3000 calories.

With that said if we did that with your goals, your TDEE is about 2200 or so, which would leave your calorie goal around 1800 calories (which is a typical average for women on this board. That advantage to this method is there is NO need for special equipment like a HRM. If you eat a specific level daily, it's very easy to back into the math.

Let me know if this helps and we can get you set up.
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    I would say that 6-7 hours a week of working out is pretty accurate. I would like to lose body fat currently and get toned. I have 5 pounds to go for my weight, Ideally I'd like to be 130 (This last five pounds though seems to be stuck on me like glue).

Honestly I'm scared ****less to increase my calories as it's taken me a long time to get this weight off. I wanted to go slow and steady, switch to a healthy lifestyle in order to be able to keep the weight off and not gain it back.

I'm intrigued by the method you mentioned, so if you don't mind helping me set it up maybe I'll give it a go and see if it works! Thanks for the advice. I've learned a lot about nutrition and exercise in the past year, but I am by no means an expert and am constantly learning new things!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would set your caloires at 1750 per day. Set macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Try this for a month. This is inline with a lot of other women on this board and the average for the people I work with. The key is consistency and accuracy. So using a food scale is rather important, as it logging daily.

BTW, your warrior class, what are they?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • kristendeyell
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I will switch everything for Monday! Warrior Kickboxing is cardio kickboxing with MMA training. I do an advanced class on Saturdays and a beginner class at the gym on Monday's. The Warrior Fitness is high intensity interval training. It's either 40 or 60 second intervals. He does a different type of class every week and they can include weights, bosu balls, gliders, bands etc. The instructor trains with MMA guys and he is a black belt so the workouts are pretty intense!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I will switch everything for Monday! Warrior Kickboxing is cardio kickboxing with MMA training. I do an advanced class on Saturdays and a beginner class at the gym on Monday's. The Warrior Fitness is high intensity interval training. It's either 40 or 60 second intervals. He does a different type of class every week and they can include weights, bosu balls, gliders, bands etc. The instructor trains with MMA guys and he is a black belt so the workouts are pretty intense!

Just as a piece of advice. If you can drop some of the cardio and replace it with weight training, you might see greater composition changes. I know personally, as well as confirmation from others on this board, they saw greater body changes when they concentrated on lifting heavy.