quest bars vs. protein powder

Options
So i went into my local nutrishop today, and the guy asked me when I eat my questbars. He shook my head at me when I said after my workout, and told me I should only look at them as a snack item or a meal replacement. Since I'm trying to build lean muscle I should stick to a protein shake. He gave me some samples of forza pro and it tastes ok. I dont really like the taste of many protein shakes and that's why I eat questbars. They are yummy. Is he right though, I tend to not trust the stuff coming out of ppls mouths at shops like that.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever gives you the right macros and fits in your calorie goal. Feel free to look at $$$ too when making your decision. No point in listening to someone who's job is to sell you stuff.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever gives you the right macros and fits in your calorie goal. Feel free to look at $$$ too when making your decision. No point in listening to someone who's job is to sell you stuff.

Which is exactly what i was thinking. Its all good and well to drink protein shakes if you like them. I just happen to find the majority of them disgusting.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Then as long as you're getting the amount of protein you need, screw the protein shakes. It isn't fair when you go into a store and the person there gives you advice on how to feed your body when it is HIS JOB to sell you stuff. I like that you critically thought it out. :smile:
  • smash820
    Options
    what are you favorite quest bars? I have been really curious about them recently but too nervous to spend $26 on 12 if I don't like the flavor. I don't have a GNC store locally that's convenient to go buy random ones to try.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of the flavors but i really only like three, the Chocolate peanut butter, the chocolate chip and the peanut butter supreme.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the guy is totally clueless.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    what are you favorite quest bars? I have been really curious about them recently but too nervous to spend $26 on 12 if I don't like the flavor. I don't have a GNC store locally that's convenient to go buy random ones to try.

The new Cookies & Cream flavor is so yummy but very hard to find
    I also like the brownie flavor

Pop those babies in the microwave for 15 seconds for even better flavor.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i love quest bars. my favorite is cookies and cream and cookie dough.

Hated it in the microwave though. i just like it right out of the package.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Cookie dough quest bars are addictive.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Cookies and Cream, the best!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I just had a chocolate chip cookie dough quest bar prior to my workout and will have a protein shake after my workout. Just my preference.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make a sort of cappuchino in the morning with protein powder added.
    Then at some point in the day I have a chocolate chip cookie dough quest bar (which at first I was like MEHHHHH it's OK….but now I crave?)
    They both fit my calories/make me feel full/satisfy my sweet tooth.
    Do a little research on ingredients, then do some trial and error for a few days on your own. Take everything everyone says with a grain of salt. Including me LOL.
    But I can't believe it took me this long to get in on the protein supplement train. It's great.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The only positive thing I can think of is that he meant that the shakes would have less carbs than the Quest bars, so someone who's trying to get more protein than carbs after a workout might be better off with the shakes. But you'd have to check the labels (and care).
    I use shakes because they have fewer calories than the protein bar I often use as a snack.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Personally, I vote Quest bars all the way because every single protein shake I've tried has left me feeling like a chemical truck has had a wreck in my mouth. Whatever gets you your protein (I am happiest with fresh raw fish).