Turkey meatloaf?

Options
MisdemeanorM
MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
Wanting to try meatloaf w/ turkey instead of beef. Want to see if the husband notices. (He's previously knocked wheat pasta as nasty as he unknowingly consumed whole wheat casserole...)

But, i know that some of what makes him like meatloaf is the nasty greasiness. I am sure there are great turkey recipes out there - but I am looking for one that tastes the most like normal meatloaf. Can i just make it the same as normal meatloaf (onions, eggs, bread crumbs, peppers, spices), or do I have to account for the different texture of the turkey to make it, i guess less flaky. My ground turkey usually turns out a little dry and flaky.

So, basically, I need turkey meatloaf recopies for a bad cook. :laugh:

Replies

• Birdnicaj
    Options
    I don't have a recipe for you, but I have a suggestion. Mix in two eggs (raw) with the meat, and proceed as you would normally. I should keep the turkey "together" a bit better.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I started making any recipe that called for beef with turkey instead. After a while the family got used to it and now beef is a once in a while thing. I use the meatloaf recipe from Betty Crocker. I cut the milk down a little and add more spices. (I always drain the fat.) It's good. But you have to get used to a change.

You could mix in a little turkey with the beef to start. That's how my family got used to brown rice. I mixed in a little brown rice with the white.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Make it the same just use lean ground turkey like jennie O
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks...now I'm hungry. ;-)

Check out "JENNIE-O's Best Ever Meatloaf"
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/jennie-os-best-ever-meatloaf/Detail.aspx

I haven't tried it, yet, but it looks good, and the recipe makes sense. I'm going to try it!
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I made one the other night, and no one could tell the difference. I don't know the exact recipe, because I just throw stuff in, but, I will estimate :laugh:

1 lb ground turkey
    parsley (Tbsp maybe, chopped)
    Lipton Beefy onion soup mix (I used one whole packet)
    1 egg
    bread crumbs (I used seasoned, and just put enough in, maybe 1/4 Cup?)
    Low sodium soy sauce (couple shakes)
    Garlic (1 clove, minced)
    Onion (I used half, and diced it)
    Ketchup (Like 1 Tbsp)
    Garlic powder, spike seasoning (just a little of each)

I think that is it. I just mixed it all together, careful not to overmix. I put some ketchup on top, and put it in the oven on 350. I'm not sure how long I cooked it, but, I kept checking the internal temp. and took it out at about 172, and it was perfect. Much more than that and it will dry out. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When you are ready to spice it up a little and stray from the traditional meatloaf taste, try this recipe from the "Biggest Loser" show...."Tara's Turkey Mini-Meatloaf -- Biggest Loser season 7 all-star Tara Costa's favorite ranch recipe." It's gotta be good with onion, celery, and chipotle. (also includes nutritional info for the recipe...)

http://www.dietsinreview.com/recipes/taras-turkey-mini-meatloaf/#ixzz0zzRRz2HF
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I did this with chicken ground the other night and it came out fabulous. I can't imagine making it with turkey would be all that different:

1lb ground chicken
    1 med green pepper diced
    1 med onion diced
    5-8 white mushrooms diced
    fresh ground black pepper
    kosher salt
    2 cloves of garlic minced (I like garlic, your tastes may be different)
    1 tbsp dried basil
    1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried rosemary crushed
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
    1/2 cup pasta sauce (I used Francisco Rinaldi's To Be Healthy Garden Vegetable)
    1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese

Mix everything but the pasta sauce and cheese together, adding salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly out in a loaf pan. Top with sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake (or cook in the microwave at 70% power). Once center has reached proper temp, take off foil and put under broiler to brown the cheese.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    bump!!!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have subbed ground turkey for beef many times and I think it tastes exactly the same. Though I follow a spicy cajun meatloaf recipe, so it's pretty spicy, which probably camouflages any difference in the taste and texture of the turkey. I don't know the recipe off hand, but it's on allrecipes.com...they have a whole section of meatloaf recipes!
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I cover mine with tin foil to helpeep it a bit more moist, Its a throw together so I don't have a proper recipe to share offhand.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Bizarre idea, but: try adding a little turkey sausage in with the ground turkey. Adds a nice layer of flavor... :-)
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe for meatloaf muffins on here somewhere and they are fab. I made mine with turkey mince and hubby and toddler loved them.
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bumping this post because I used one of the recipies on it tonight and loved it. Took me forever to find this post since I didn't bump it last time!
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There is an excellent and very healthy turkey meatloaf recipe on Epicurious. The link is
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Turkey-Meatloaf-107599
    or you can look up Epicurious online and type in turkey meatloaf and you should find it. It uses mushrooms finely chopped in a food processor to give it more moisture and a good flavor. It has lots of favorable reviews. My husband and I both like it a lot.