What is the best weight lifting program for me?

Options
I have been doing roughly the same weightlifting program for about a year and a half and I am getting tired of it. Time for something new. I have seen results but they have been slow. I don't know if I am not doing things right, I do know that I am the type that does not gain muscle mass or strength quickly.

This is what I am currently doing: 45 min twice a week arms and legs, usually 3 reps of 12 with the most weight I can lift for all 3 reps. 2 days a week I do 30 min of core and abs, I actually really like my ab routine and found it really effective so I probably don't want to change that.

This is what I would like to achieve: I am a female 5'6' around 140 pounds and I don't want to gain weight, I am currently about the weight I want to be but it wouldn't hurt me to lose about 10 pounds. I want more muscle definition but I don't want mass, although I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about that since gaining muscle mass has always been hard for me. I actually feel like I have fairly good muscle definition already if I could just get rid of a little bit of fat covering it up.

Anyway would love links to free programs people have liked. Thanks

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had great success with jamie easons live fit trainer on bodybuilding.com. It ends up being 6 days a week though for about 40 minutes per workout. I also have some of Pauline Nordin,s fighter diet workouts. I will be trying them eventually. I think her ebooks are expensive for what they are though but look great. I am currently doing the stronglifts programme, I needed something short as I am combining it with running and focus T25. I enjoyed live fit it was easy to follow I ever did phase 3 though I moved onto something else.
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Pick a program, any of the major ones (SL 5x5, NWOWLW, etc...) that focus on compound movements will be great just make sure you track what you are doing and progress (more reps, more weight after you can do around 12 reps)