What to do with an abundance of sage?

kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I just made a good sage harvest yesterday and will probably harvest more today. obviously, i will dry it for use over winter, but i wanted to see if anyone here had any good recipes that center around sage.

any recipe will do, but my bf is a vegetarian. if the recipe has meat, i'll just alter it, but keep in mind that it does me no service if it's a recipe with just meat. ;)

k

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Pumpkin, Sage and Pecan Chile Ravioli with a White Bean and Garlic Sauce

INGREDIENTS
    1 medium winter squash (900 - 1150 grams / 2 - 2 1/2 lb) such as kabocha, butternut or hokaido (you will need 2 cups cooked squash)
    3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    2 tablespoon minced fresh sage
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Red Chile Pasta Dough
    1 ancho or guajillo chile
    1 pasilla or new mexican chile (or just use another ancho chile)
    1 teaspoon annatto seeds (optional)
    2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    90 grams / 3 ounces silken tofu
    2 cups unbleached flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    White Bean and Garlic Sauce
    1 1/2 cups navy beans or northern beans, soaked or 2 x 430 grams / 15 ounce cans, drained and rinsed
    Salt
    2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 onions, finely chopped
    8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    5 sprigs fresh sage
    Handful of fresh thyme sprigs
    1 bay leaf
    2 teaspoon lemon juice
    Freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
    Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
    Cut the squash in half from stem to bottom and place cut side down on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Let the squash cool for a few minutes, then remove and discard the seeds. Scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork. Measure out 2 cups mashed squash, reserving any extra.

Warm the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onions and saute until they are browned, about 10 minutes. Add the pecans and saute for a few minutes more, add the squash, mixing until it is heated through. Stir in the sage, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat.

Roll out dough into 2 equal sheets and score a grid of 2.5 centimeter / 1 inch squares with a ruler and pastry cutter. Put equal, well-rounded amount of each of the squares. Brush a little water along the edges of the squares in case the dough starts to dry out. Lay the second sheet over the first and press down around the mounds to seal the edges. Cut out the squares with a pastry wheel using the ruler to help guide you. Lay the raviolis on a lightly floured tray.

Bring a large skillet filled 2.5 centimeters / 1 inch of water to a simmer. Add the raviolis and cook for 3-5 minutes depending on the dryness of the pasta. Use a slotted spoon to gently lift the raviolis out of the water. Drain briefly for a moment, then serve immediately, covered with white bean and garlic sauce.

Red Chile Pasta Dough
    Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chiles and place in a bowl. Pour boiling water over the chillies and let sit for 10-15 minutes, or until they are softened.

Meanwhile, if you are using the annatto seeds, heat them with the oil in a small saucepan just until the oil is warm and has turned orange. Strain the oil, discarding the seeds.

Place the softened chiles and 2 tablespoons of the chile soaking liquid, the oil and the tofu in the blender and blend until smooth.

Sift the flour onto a work surface (a large wooden board is good) in a mound and make a hollow in the middle. Pour the chile tofu mixture into the hollow and add the salt. With a fork, first mix the salt into the tofu mixture and then gradually draw in the flour from the edge, incorporating it little by little until a paste begins to form. Then use both hands to gather the remaining flour together and work it into the dough. Work in as much of the flour as you can; there will be a few little straggly pieces of dough and a little flour that does not get worked in. Wash your hands to remove dough. Scrape up the excess dough pieces and flour sticking to the board with a pastry scraper or knife and sift them through a strainer so that flour falls back onto the board. Discard the pieces caught in the strainer. Knead, working in the last bit of flour, with vigorous rhythmic motions for 5-10 minutes, or until the dough has a firm, slightly elastic consistency, is not sticky, and has become smooth and pliable. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for about 1 hour at room temperature before making ravioli.

White Bean and Garlic Sauce
    Drain the soaked beans. Cover with 6 cups of water and pressure cook for about 8 minutes for the navy beans or 10 minutes for the great northern beans. Season with salt to taste. Let the beans sit in the cooking liquid for a few minutes to absorb the salt. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid.

or

On the stovetop, simmer the beans in 8 cups of water, partially covered for about 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are soft. Season with salt to taste. Let the beans sit in the cooking liquid for a few minutes to absorb the salt. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid.

Warm the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for about 7 minutes, or until the onions are softened and starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes, until fragrant. Add the cooked beans and 2 1/2 cups of the bean cooking liquid (if you are using canned beans, add 2 1/2 cups water). Tie the herbs together with a cotton string and add to the pot along with the bay leaf. Cover, bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to marry. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf and tied herbs.

Serve as is or cream totally smooth with a food processor/blender.

NOTES
    This isn't as difficult to make as it looks but it is a bit time consuming. But, the reward is great. There is nothing better than successfully making your own ravioli. If you have a ravioli press, this comes together very easy.
  • elmct57
    and an easier British one ;)

Cashew Nut Roast with Sage and onion stuffing

A sixth of a cup/30g/1oz of vegan margarine

2 sticks of celery, finely chopped

1 medium leek, finely chopped

1 and a half cups of hot water

1 teaspoon of yeast extract (marmite, vegemite etc.)

3 cups/550g/16oz of ground cashew nuts (or other nuts of your choice - almonds work well too)

2 Tablespoons of soya flour

2 teaspoons of fresh herbs - winter savoury is great (if using dried 1 teaspoon)

3 cups/160g/6oz of white bread crumbs

seasalt and pepper to taste

sage and onion stuffing

Melt the margarine (in a large pan for mixing) and cook the celery and leek in it for a few minutes. Mix the yeast extract into the hot water (alternatively you could use any stock you like) and add this to the leek and celery. Stir in the soya flour, nuts, herbs, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper and mix well. Allow to cool slightly while you grease a loaf pan. Place half the nut roast mixture in the tin and press down well - then add the sage and onion stuffing (pressing down well again) and place the rest of the nut roast mixture on top. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 180/360 then turn out of the pan and slice. Nice served with all the traditional trimmings.

Variations:- you can substitute wine (red or white) or soya milk for the water and yeast extract. A layer of sliced mushrooms and garlic is an alternative to the stuffing.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    home made sage and onion stuffing! thats what i do make into ball then cook and freeze! take out what you need,when you need!
  • pumpkin soup!

carve out the innards of a large pumpkin (save the rind to serve the soup in if you wanna! thats what i do for family!) remove the seeds and put the rest in a large pot with some water (i usually just eyeball it but its probably around 3 cups......maybe four) cook the pumpkin with chopped onions, celery, and other soup vegetables (carrots etc if you want them, the only real necessary ones are the onion and celery) and then season it with sage, and rosemary and other delicious savory spices and two to three bay leaves, simmer for about an hour. then take out the bay leaves and place it all in a blender and blend the soup to a puree. pour back into the pot and simmer for another few minutes, until its warm. pour into the pumpkin rind, serve!

SO DELICIOUS! and 100% vegetarian :) (i'm vegetarian too!)
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    I like a nice cup of sage and lemon tea with honey :)
  • kayemme
    while these sound delicious, i meant more like something that is predominantly sage.. i have about 3lbs of it. :) the onion/sage stuffing is a great idea! and using it in cooking by the tablespoon is totally great, but i was wondering if anyone knew what to do with what could be considered a "buttload" of sage.
  • Firstly, I would have replied sooner had I not read the topic title as 'what to do with an ambulance of sage'...

Because of the strength of flavour in sage I think you'll be hard pressed to find a recipe that consists mostly of it. However if you can get hold of some brown jars ( marmite is good) then you can shred dry and store it in these and it will keep it's flavour nicely xxx
  • elmct57
    if you like pesto:

Sage and Pecan Pesto from Kalyn's Kitchen site
    (Makes about 4 cups sage pesto which can be frozen in ice cube trays to make 18 cubes pesto, about 3 T each.

3 large handfuls sage leaves, stems removed, washed and dried
    3/4 cup unsalted pecans (or almonds)
    1/3 cup chopped fresh garlic
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 cups coarsely grated parmesan cheese

Snip sage leaves from stems with kitchen shears and place leaves in salad spinner. Wash and spin dry (or wash in sink and dry with paper towels.) Put sage in food processor fitted with steel blade and pulse until sage is finely chopped.

Use cutting board and chef's knife to chop garlic and pecans. (They will get chopped more in the food processor so they don't have to be chopped too precisely.) Add pecans, garlic, salt, and parmesan to food processor and pulse until mixture is well combined but not completely pureed together. With food processor running, pour olive oil in through feed tube as you pulse, until the oil is blended with other ingredients.

If desired, freeze in ice cube trays or small containers. Will keep in the fridge for at least a week, or for months in the freezer. When cubes are well frozen, pop them out and seal them inside a plastic bag with the FoodSaver.
  • kayemme
    perfect!!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    I make these for my husband at least once a week! He says he feels like he's indulging, yet it's very very healthy!

Sage simmered pork chops

4-4oz. boneless pork chops (all visible fat removed)
    one large onion sliced
    8 oz. bag sliced baby bella mushroom
    1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    2 tsp. low sodium beef boulion
    2 tsp. minced fresh sage or 1 tsp. dried sage
    1/2 c. egg beaters
    2 tsp. canola oil

Place egg substitute in a shallow dish and in another mix flour, boullion and sage. Dip each pork chop in egg first then flour mixture. Heat 1 tsp. oil in heavy large non stick skillet. Add chops and brown 3 min on each side. Remove chops but don't wash pan. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil Add mushrooms and onions and saute til soft (you may need to add a bit of water if they begin to burn. Place chops back in skillet with veggies and cover and cook for an additional 5 min. or til pork is cooked through.

I just eat it like this with a salad, but it would be great with some steamed brown rice or quinoa! Hope you enjoy it!
This discussion has been closed.