Should I leave out cardio altogether?

Options
13»

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Disagree on the 5x lifting per week... it works for some people, for most it doesn't. Do what works for YOU. Only YOU will know what works for YOU. I used to lift 6x per week, no problem for several months until work picked up.

I think what you're trying to say is a 5X total body routine wouldn't work for most people because it doesn't give enough time for repair.

I do a 5X split where I don't work the same group 2 days in a row, but I work every group 2X a week, and glutes 3X a week. The gains are far better than when I was doing a 3X total body (strong lifts) or a 4X split (5/3/1). I've read NROL4W, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, and even Wendler's 5/3/1. Everyone has a different program they're marketing and is going to say something different than the next guy. Take the good, leave the bad.

And to OP: I do 30-40 minutes cardio daily. It hasn't hurt my results. I don't run right now, though. My cardio is generally cycling or beating the hell out of a heavy bag.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    5 x week plus cardio is absolutely fine if you fuel properly and have enough sleep.

Don't drop the cardio but make sure you are not picking up excessive caloric deficits from it overall. That's where cardio can get ya with what you are trying to do.

Go and read some of Layne Norton's publications, he is pretty awesome in this arena.
  • simona815
    simona815 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    well u don't have to do much cardio...just drop carbs, get on a strict diet, and hit the weight room hard :)

Why?
    ask scott heman,josef rakich,joe donnelly or any other certified trainers.

I don't want to, I am asking you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Lots of low carb phobia on this board but, to each their own.

what does low carb phobia have to do with OP's original post about cardio?

Because others have mentioned the possibility of OP cutting carbs in addition to the original cardio question and have been met with tons of opposition?

As it should... low carb craze is garbage.
    ^^obv didnt read the first "quotes" whole post, to say such a blanket phrase like that.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Lots of low carb phobia on this board but, to each their own.

what does low carb phobia have to do with OP's original post about cardio?

Because others have mentioned the possibility of OP cutting carbs in addition to the original cardio question and have been met with tons of opposition?

As it should... low carb craze is garbage.
    ^^obv didnt read the first "quotes" whole post, to say such a blanket phrase like that.

What's obv? I OBVIOUSLY did read what that person said. I just don't care. I stick with my opinion, telling someone to cut carbs when you don't know their daily intake is ridiculous and counter-intuitive.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CARDIO ROCKS!