HELP!!! % seem off to me!!!

I just started using MFP again recently and it is set that my nutrition goals are
50% carbohydrates
30% fats
20% Protein

This seems off to me.....

I am 27
5'2
235lbs

Can anyone suggest how I can alter my %ages?

Thanks!!

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    my home --> goals --> change goals, pick custom and press continue.
  • Thanks, I know how to change it. I just don't what to change the %ages for best results
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    It depends somewhat on the foods you want to work in and how strict you want to be. If you are just starting out a slower approach and making gradual changes will be better in the long run. Cutting your calories or changing your diet too drastically often leads to failure.

A couple of guidelines to follow:
    Keep protein intake high (ideally close to 0.8g of protein for each lb of body weight). This may be hard to adjust to in the short term and it is by no means an absolute figure, more something to note when you get a bit leaner.
    Don't be afraid of fat! Make it about 0.3 - 0.4g per lb of body weight.
    Carbs to make up the rest.

As a starting point, to keep things simple, I'd go with something like 40%P, 30%C, 30%F (or something around that mark). See what works for you but remember that total caloric intake is the most important thing for weight loss, macros are secondary and will play more of an important role later on.

Set yourself a target of 1700-1800 cals, give it a month and then re-assess from there.
  • 1700 to 1800?! that seems really high! I have been "trying" to lose weight for a long time. Trying a different approach this time. It seems like calories can't be the most important thing. I could eat 1200 calories of crap or 1200 of great stuff that keep me moving.

I'm not sure how I could ever fit 188g of protein every day! that seems high. Thanks for your help thought I will change the settings to the percentages you suggested!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I know it seems high, but this should be about a 20% deficit and mean you can lose a pound or two per week!

You could go a little more aggressive as you have a reasonable amount still to lose, but if you cut too fast too quickly you risk:
    unnecessarily restricting yourself too much and breaking your plan, and
    giving yourself less room to reduce calories when your weight loss inevitably stalls at some point.

I wouldn't suggest going any lower than 1600 at this point for any reason aside from a medically diagnosed health issue. I know the real temptation is there, I have it myself at times, but for long term success this is the best approach!

Just be sure to log accurately and weigh your food whenever possible, it is very easy to think you are eating at 1700 and actually be closer to 2000. I see it all the time!