Hello! Help me on my journey to build muscle and get fit

Options
Hi everyone!

First of all I would like to say thank you for reading my lengthy post, im going to need help with some questions that I am sure are really nooby but I seriously don't have anyone else to go to. First before I get to that let me introduce myself and my plans..

About me:
5'7 / 143lb / 22 year old male

http://i62.tinypic.com/ncggnq.jpg (starting - front)
http://i59.tinypic.com/2rfcxlv.jpg (starting - side)
http://i61.tinypic.com/1zdu2k3.jpg (starting - back)

Originally my entire life I was overweight near 200lbs. Well about a year ago I set out on my weight loss journey. Stupid me was running for 2 miles almost daily and not doing any other exercises with barley any food. Ooops! Needless to say I lost alot of muscle in the process and got down to around my current weight but well alot of it is still fat because of the zero exercise, so I transformed to skinny fat! So instead of running what I started doing is curls, pushups and lateral raises daily for about 2 months but still eating minimal amounts... I know im dumb! Something good came out of that tho, I got my tiny biceps and triceps kinda toned and now im kinda addicted to making them bigger :smile:

My Goal:

Well to be honest I want to join the military. I always wanted to as a kid and do something to what I consider being important with my life. Enough putting my dreams off because of my body. Ideally what I want to do is get in above average shape/size and nothing to crazy. When I do that I will be back here to show you all my results and hopefully inspire someone else along the way.

My Questions:

- What do you think my current BMI is judging by my pictures?

- I really don't know what weight I should target. I was thinking maybe 175lbs?

- My Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1607, based on your recommendations for target weight how many calories should I take in per day?

- I hate to be that guy but I need a meal plan. I seriously searched but there is so much out there im confused.

- How exactly do I gain muscle and lose the fat/avoid gaining fat along the way?

- I made myself a exercise sheet for certain days that I already printed out, yay! However I have to limit my exercises to what I can do at my own home as there is no gym in my area at all. Im struggling to find some key exercises for my core body, maybe you guys have some recommendations?

Thank you!!!!!!

Replies

• rightmindset
    Options
    Can someone answer my questions ?
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First of all you are getting way too complicated with this at first. Keep it simple brother. Science is science, numbers are numbers, and they aren't going to help you lift any heavy *kitten* weight or eat that chicken and sweet potato when you can't stand another bite. You do not have a gym. Go to a park and utilize monkey bars for pull-ups and dips. if you do not think you can build an impressive physique then check out Hannibal for King on you tube. Putting on alot of muscle without any fat is a pipe dream. The most elite physiques on the planet require an offseason and pre-contest (cutting) phase. The pictures you see in muscle mags are smoke and mirrors. Dial in your diet first, then training, then get all scientific and technical. If you are going to join the Army do you think they are gonna put you on Delta Force fresh off the bus ? NOPE!!! Put in the time, do the work that needs to be done and do not over complicate things. Men in prison do not have access to a good diet, or supplements. many of them are able to build very impressive physiques. And the last time I checked I don't think they get all scientific because they can't. I hope your dreams are eventually realized my friend.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Can't see your pics but my advice would be to eat at either maintainance or (preferably) a reasonable surplus AND add a leg day!!!

As to diet - amount of surplus/macros etc, IIFYM.com is a great resourse - just plug in your numbers and your goals - then tailor your goals on here to fit.

Look into and follow an actual programme - these are mostly designed by experts who know how to get results - and stick to it (curls won't get you to where you want to be).

I'd recommend starting strength or Stronglifts 5x5 - both are beginners barbell programmes that concentrate on compound moves that should get you good muscle gains if you get your diet nailed down.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck with it.

ETA: oh and, well done on your weight loss so far.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't see the bit about no gym - I have a home gym (just a squat rack,bench and a few plates :/) but if you can't do this I've heard convict conditioning or you are your own gym are good body weight programmes :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    - What do you think my current BMI is judging by my pictures?

BMI is 22.4. BMI is a simple height/weight ratio. Body fat % is different. I'd guess somewhere around 20%? Mostly just need to build muscle, so re-assess in a few months.
    - I really don't know what weight I should target. I was thinking maybe 175lbs?

If you're thinking a 3-year plan. Adding 30+ lbs of muscle and looking good (lean) is much harder than losing weight.
    - My Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1607, based on your recommendations for target weight how many calories should I take in per day?

Start with 2500 and track for several weeks, then re-eval? Need to figure out how much you're actually burning.
    - I hate to be that guy but I need a meal plan. I seriously searched but there is so much out there im confused.

Eat normal food, get 120g+ of protein per day. Don't worry about trying to fine tune with special foods.
    - How exactly do I gain muscle and lose the fat/avoid gaining fat along the way?

Look to put on ~ 1lb/week (500/day surplus), and things should work out ok. Re-evaluate every 8 weeks or so. If you're really concerned, go with a 250 surplus, but it doesn't need to be that complex for a complete beginner. No point in missing potential gain at the start. Just don't go 1000+ surplus.
    - I made myself a exercise sheet for certain days that I already printed out, yay! However I have to limit my exercises to what I can do at my own home as there is no gym in my area at all. Im struggling to find some key exercises for my core body, maybe you guys have some recommendations?

If you have zero space or budget: convict conditioning, other bodyweight exercises. Tons of bodyweight exercise resources out there. Youtube etc. Find $20 for an iron gym or similar pull up bar.

If you have some budget, but not much, look for barbell/dumbbell sets on Craiglist. Take your time and grab a good deal.

If you're willing to burn some budget and have space, set up a power rack.

Once you have something to lift, do a starter lifting routine like Stronglifts or Wendler 5/3/1. I'd recommend going with basic strength first, but can do something like AllPro too if you feel like that suits you better.

Also, check out the Eat, Train, Progress group here for a lot of good advice on everything you're asking about.