New to myfitnesspal

Options
I am new to this website. A friend of mine uses it and I thought I would check it out. I have a really hard time finding the motivation to exercise. I can't clean my house without my back hurting, I have done the walking thing and my shoes have rubbed huge blisters on my feet. I bought new shoes same thing. I have resorted to counting calories however that's only going to work if you get exercise. How do I get myself started?

Replies

• gymgirl01
    Options
    Have you tried riding a bike? Bikes are a great way to get cardio in without much stress. Also, sounds like you need to do some exercise to strengthen your abs. When we have back pain, sometimes it’s due to weak abdominal muscles. Hope this helps!
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I started my journey just counting calories. As some weight starts coming off, you will find that the back doesn't hurt as much and you will start feeling like doing something, any thing. I started out walking, very slow at first (I could not even walk a mile without being out of breath) and now I'm walking much faster and I joined a yoga class! This, from a person who has always been very lazy with all the excuses in the book to not do anything but watch tv. I feel fantastic and I can't wait for the next new thing I will be trying, even though I don't know what it is at this time, but there will be something and I'm ready!

Start your journey with a postive, can-do attitude and you will go far. There is nothing wrong with starting slow; just keep going.:flowerforyou:
  • gymgirl01
    Options
    Dear Dejr...also, find a friend to work out with you...if you are commited to someone else you will be more likely to stay on track. Start small and build up. Set some realistic goals right now, like walk or ride your bike starting at five minutes per day for two weeks, then add five minutes thereafter every week. Before you know it you will be out there riding or walking 30 minutes or more...Good Luck! Oh, one more thing...it takes 21 days to form a habit, so stick with this...you can do it.....stay true to yourself.

Take care, Linda
  • dejr1fn8
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas. I bought a yoga video and never used it. I know now is the time to use it.
  • dejr1fn8
    Options
    I started walking with my fiance because he too is wanting to lose weight. My shoes rubbed blisters on my feet so I bought a new pair of nikes and they too rubbed blisters. I don't mind walking with him but how do i stop from getting blisters.
  • gymgirl01
    Options
    I don't know the cost, but it might be advantageous for you to go to a good sports shop and have shoes fitted for you.

Linda
  • mssnow
    mssnow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my MFP, you have come to the right place if you are ready to take control of your destiny. You are stating several things here, are you lacking motivation or do you have health challenges that prevent you from doing certain things. If there are no health challenges, the first thing you have to do is change your attitude about getting fit. Please understand i am not being incentive about where you are with getting fit, i know this can be very challenging mentally, and sometimes it is more mental than physical. This site is full of positive and motivated people that are all trying to accomplish the same thing, getting fit and feeling better about ourselves. We didn't all start off that way but as we press our way and stay focus on the end result we will get there one pound at a time. It may not be easy but it is doable and we would love for you to join us on this journey. Good luck keep us posted! Hope to continue seeing you on the site.
  • bel74
    bel74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    have you thought about trying swimming?
  • gymgirl01
    Options
    Hello, my name is Linda. I am new to this site, but not new to nutrition and fitness. I own a gym for women in my home town. I am only human and I too have fallen off the wagon of sensible eating. It is so easy to gain and I know if we don't watch what we eat, and get in regular exercise the pounds just creep up on us. So, here I am, along with the rest of you, setting my goals and on the path to feeling better and looking better. Good luck to you, and if I can help you with fitness ideas and or nutrition please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a healthy day,
    Linda/gymgirl01
  • dawnallisson
    dawnallisson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Chicky! You should try water aerobics! I started doing that at the Y and my back actually feels better when I walk and clean than it did before. :)
  • I_Got_This_23
    I_Got_This_23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If there is one type of shoe I will splurge on, it's my running shoes. I hate to say it, but if I spend $30-$50 on a pair of sneakers, I get blisters, knee pain, ect. But those $80+ shoes have that great arch support and gel technology. I also compare shoes by weight, the lighter the shoe, the more comforable it tends to be. And Nikes are made for people with very narrow feet. My wide foot will not fit comfortably in a $100 pair of Nikes.