Best Method for losing 50 lbs?

Options
I have been serious about my weight loss this month and even though I am seeing results and working my *kitten* off. ( no pun intended) I was wondering what y'all think is the most effective way to drop a large amount like this?
I need a little coaching here.
So I'll just tell you what Ive been doing.

I cut back my calorie intake. 1200 is my goal but I mostly been taking in 7-800. I work out twice a day.
I work from 11pm-7am. I wake up at 3 and workout at 4:30 for an hour. I generally try to do a mixture of cardio like cycling or elliptical. I will through in some leg presses, planks and squats.

Then around 7pm I do 30 day shred.

My meals normal consist of a banana with small cup of all natural peanut butter. I will go to subway and get a 6 inch wheat chicken with all veggies. I drink water and no soda. I will have hot tea or un sweetened tea.

On the weekends when I have off I switch my gym based cardio for inline skating or tennis. I try to rest on Sunday.

Any pointers? Something that could help?

I currently weigh 185lbs

I would like to lose 50 over all but I am trying to also go by how I look because I know you drop inches before weight.

I just dont want to burn myself off or starve myself all for nothing. Regaurdless Im moving and I will see results but is there a better way?

Replies

• deadyankee
    Options
    Don't try and lose it quickly. You are eating way too little for a sedentary person, let alone for someone doing workouts. There are a million threads here that explain in detail the safe, healthy way to lose weight. You are not unique so just follow the straightforward, simple advice. There are no magic bullets. Work out how much you need to consume to maintain your current weight and then subtract 20% from that. Don't expect fast results. If nothing has happened in 3 months then maybe think about changing things up.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    I'm not trying for the fastest approach. I am trying really hard to be more active hence all the additional workouts. My job is just me at a desk all night by myself. I gained weight from being sedentary and poor diet so I'm trying to make up for all of that. It just bothers me emotionally because I worked hard to weight before and succeeded and i have to do it all over again. I'm confused about the calorie deficit that's why I'm scared to eat my normal goal because i was told I have to take in less than what I need.
    I figured based on my work hours I would need a specific plan for losing weight because its difficult to plan a normal schedule when you work thirds. Sleep was first priority.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

1200 is too low esp for your workouts.

As well cardio doesn't do much except give you extra calories and help heart health.
    I just dont want to burn myself off or starve myself all for nothing. Regaurdless Im moving and I will see results but is there a better way?
    Then don't. Eat at a reasonable deficet, pick up some weights.

I am older than you 2x almost and I eat 1700 calories a day and lose weight every week. As you can tell by my ticker it's almost 50lbs...but it has taken me just over a year so the other key is to be patient.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about the calorie deficit that's why I'm scared to eat my normal goal because i was told I have to take in less than what I need.

The goal that MFP gives you is your goal/target to reach. I assume when you signed up you were asked to enter details and settings? Including height, weight, age and how much you want to lose per week? That 1200 calories you've been allocated is your goal. You want to be eating as close to that number as you can. When you exercise, you use energy, so you need to replace the balance to get back to that 1200 goal. That's what will get referred to as 'eating back your exercise calories'. 7-800 calories, before taking into account exercise depletes that? Not the best move and won't get you that 50lb loss you want.

Read the link Stef has given you. Do it. It's well worth your time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck! :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been serious about my weight loss this month and even though I am seeing results and working my *kitten* off. ( no pun intended) I was wondering what y'all think is the most effective way to drop a large amount like this?

I cut back my calorie intake. 1200 is my goal but I mostly been taking in 7-800. I work out twice a day.
    I work from 11pm-7am. I wake up at 3 and workout at 4:30 for an hour. I generally try to do a mixture of cardio like cycling or elliptical. I will through in some leg presses, planks and squats.

My meals normal consist of a banana with small cup of all natural peanut butter. I will go to subway and get a 6 inch wheat chicken with all veggies. I drink water and no soda. I will have hot tea or un sweetened tea.

On the weekends when I have off I switch my gym based cardio for inline skating or tennis. I try to rest on Sunday.

I currently weigh 185lbs

I would like to lose 50 over all but I am trying to also go by how I look because I know you drop inches before weight.

Starving yourself by eating 700 calories a day is definitely the wrong way.

At 22 and 185 pounds you will normally burn in the neighborhood of 1980 calories a day before exercise, assuming a relatively sedentary lifestyle. You are eating less than half of that. When you add in exercise, you are eating roughly a third of the calories your body needs for maintenance.

It is pretty much impossible to get enough nutrition in the form of protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals on a diet of 700-800 calories a day.

Your diet has very little protein or fat.

So I don't want to be mean, but you're doing this wrong. You are exercising too much, you are eating too little, and you are not getting the nutrients your body needs.

If you want to do it the "best" way you will boost your calorie intake by at least double, you will get 120 grams of protein a day, 60 grams of fat a day, and focus on strength training instead of endless cardio.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I currently weigh 185lbs

At 22 and 185 pounds you will normally burn in the neighborhood of 1980 calories a day before exercise, assuming a relatively sedentary lifestyle. You are eating less than half of that. When you add in exercise, you are eating roughly a third of the calories your body needs for maintenance.

It is pretty much impossible to get enough nutrition in the form of protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals on a diet of 700-800 calories a day.

So I don't want to be mean, but you're doing this wrong. You are exercising too much, you are eating too little, and you are not getting the nutrients your body needs.

If you want to do it the "best" way you will boost your calorie intake by at least double, you will get 120 grams of protein a day, 60 grams of fat a day, and focus on strength training instead of endless cardio.

Exactly what Jonny said.

Even withOUT exercising, 7-800 calories isn't enough. And then you're adding like 1.5 hours of cardio on top of that and not eating exercise calories, recipe for disaster m'dear.

PS: I'm jealous of the inline skating =]
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I currently weigh 185lbs

Exactly what Jonny said.

Even withOUT exercising, 7-800 calories isn't enough. And then you're adding like 1.5 hours of cardio on top of that and not eating exercise calories, recipe for disaster m'dear.

PS: I'm jealous of the inline skating =]

x3
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    1.Eat at a deficit
    2. Move your booty
    3.Repeat daily
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Okay, I am more informed now. Thank you! I know this isn't the hardest thing to do in the world. Im just trying to give it my all.
    I felt like I was eating way too little but i was just scared i would over eat.
  • DannyD123456
    DannyD123456 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a 1200 calorie diet medical professionals use them all the time to get rapid results.
  • tuneout
    Options
    Do you use the app? Even the app says you have to eat at least 1200. Don't starve yourself, give yourself a while to make this happen. 50 is my goal, and I think from start to finish it will take a year for it to come off in a healthy way where it stays off. I work out maybe twice a weak, walk and take the stairs when I can, don't drink soda or eat white grains anymore and in about 4-5 months I've lost 30 pounds sticking around 1400 a day (around 1600 on the days I work out). It's a slow process! You didn't gain it all in a month so it won't come off that fast, but if you're dedicated to the lifestyle choice of eating better and reserving time for activity, it will come off.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a 1200 calorie diet medical professionals use them all the time to get rapid results.

Did you read the OP? She's eating 700-800 calories a day. Having a goal of 1200 but only eating700-800 is not being on a 1200 calorie diet.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

There is if you're a 22 yr old female with only 50 lbs to lose and you do 90 min of cardio a day.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    I do use this website everyday and the app. I was just confused about calorie intake. I read often and everyone always has there own method to it so I thought there was a specific way of staying on top of that.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, the compliance and results are very short-lived because it is not sustainable and besides, exercise calories must be eaten back or there will be unwanted consequences.