Body fat measurements all wrong

Options
Hello,

Anyone else experienced this?

Basically I have very lean (low fat) arms, back, legs but carry alot of my weight around my belly.I want to get alot slimmer for a holiday I have in five weeks. For the last two weeks my personal trainer said to up my sessions from 4 x 1h times a week to 6 x 1h and increase my carbs 75 grams of porridge for breakfast and 35 g before workout and 35 g after.

My body fat was measured and i have increased by 1.5% in two weeks. I.e. when i started it was 11.2% . I was really dissapointed as I worked so hard these last two weeks. I am very good with my food and eat ~-500 calories than what my tDEE is.

I can only put this down to being on a low carb diet and my bodyfat measurements being wrong because of less glygogen and water being in the muscles.

Good to hear peoples views on this?

Thanks,

James

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If they used calipers I wouldn't trust the first reading either.

Bodyfat measurments using anything but a dexascan are not known to be accurate...
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If they used calipers I wouldn't trust the first reading either.

Bodyfat measurments using anything but a dexascan are not known to be accurate...

Both hydro and bod pod-style testing are known to be fairly accurate and comparable to a DXA scan, but, yeah - I wouldn't trust calipers unless in the hands of a very experienced user and would ignore any scales / handheld / impedence devices.

As for OP's results - has your weight changed over these two weeks? You only mention BF% measured however you are measuring it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you suddenly increase your regimen and/or decrease your food intake, your weight drops off at first, but your BF% goes up at first before going down again. It's just science.
  • jamesday100
    Options
    yeah my weight has gone up by 1.5 kg in two weeks. Even though i just added carbs to my dietI was still under my daily calorie allowance.