Muscle Ache and recovery?

Options
So ive started the gym...again. I am doing cardio with 3 pieces of equipment, I do 15 mins Cross Trainer, 25 mins treadmill (3.5mph, 0 incline for the time being) and then 15 (-20) mins on exercise bike, I was wondering the best things for muscle recovery, im aching on my legs (I understand that the cadio im doing is mainly legs) but is there a way to ease the aches? im drinking 8-10pints of water a day

Replies

• Junctionbox
    Junctionbox Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Milk or whey protein helps the muscles recover, if you drink it within 30 minutes of exercise. It's more typically used in strength training, but it certainly should help the legs recover.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after your workout? I know when I run I have to stretch after otherwise my muscles suffer... :)
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I like to use a foam roller. Also use tiger balm in large quantities.
  • djs2303
    djs2303 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after your workout? I know when I run I have to stretch after otherwise my muscles suffer... :)

tbh no, I start slow on the cross trainer (I loathe it, but its a good all round body exercise) and build up momentum after about 5 mins, but do a minute of cooldown on all exercises
  • djs2303
    Options
    Milk or whey protein helps the muscles recover, if you drink it within 30 minutes of exercise. It's more typically used in strength training, but it certainly should help the legs recover.

Ive just read that 1% chocolate milk is really good for muscle recovery :)

I like to use a foam roller. Also use tiger balm in large quantities.

Whats a foam roller? and what do you do with it? Is tiger balm like deep heat?
  • neilfholland
    Options
    I've been using Gold Standard Protein for the last couple of months and it's really helped my muscle recovery from running, cycling and swimming.

Not crazily calorific either. Mixed with unsweetened almond milk tastes delish.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Very Valid point

Also try adding micro-nutrients to your diet . A strong Multi-Vitamin always helps with recovery . Give the muscles the nutrients they need for optimal recovery . Personally I cant get all my micro nutrients I need DAILY from food .
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Stretch after every workout.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Can someone point me to reputable support of the milk/chocolate milk theory? I've been drinking 8 oz of 1% with 2 T of hershey syrup after my strength sessions basically because I read on here that it was good for muscle building. And I don't need much encouragement where chocolate milk is concerned. But I'd love to know that I'm not blindly following faux science.
  • mscott10184
    Options
    a wee trick I learned when I was younger was to run in the shallow end of the pool for about 10 minutes, not too intense or anything, just get your knees up and down gently. just do about 5 widths.

alternatively when you get into the shower after your workout put the shower head down to your legs and spray the muscles with hot water then cold water then hot water again. alternate between the two temperatures for about 5 minutes and it helps the lactic acid disperse from your legs which could be the reason for the tightness.
  • djs2303
    Options
    Can someone point me to reputable support of the milk/chocolate milk theory? I've been drinking 8 oz of 1% with 2 T of hershey syrup after my strength sessions basically because I read on here that it was good for muscle building. And I don't need much encouragement where chocolate milk is concerned. But I'd love to know that I'm not blindly following faux science.

I found it by googling Muscle recovery, its quite a reputable site

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/34c_fitness_list.html
    a wee trick I learned when I was younger was to run in the shallow end of the pool for about 10 minutes, not too intense or anything, just get your knees up and down gently. just do about 5 widths.

alternatively when you get into the shower after your workout put the shower head down to your legs and spray the muscles with hot water then cold water then hot water again. alternate between the two temperatures for about 5 minutes and it helps the lactic acid disperse from your legs which could be the reason for the tightness.

This also opens and closes the blood vessels :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

With all due respect , Sounds like complete BS if you ask me

Hit your macro nutrient and calorie targets . I don't see how milk and hersheys syrup is "good for muscle building". Lifting weights and eating a sufficient amount of calories all over a significant period of time results in muscle building .
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options

How about this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993044
    "Commercial beverages with this type of nutrient composition are effective, and recent work indicates that chocolate milk may be as effective as or superior to these in promoting recovery."
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Stretching might be the best part of cardio. After a good run, it feels so good to stretch and feel all "whoozy" high. I suggest you learn some good stretches and thoroughly stretch all of your muscles afterwards. You'll feel great, like you've been relaxing in a hammock for an hour.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the honest replies about the chocolate milk thing, and sorry OP if I derailed your thread. I don't think I really lift enough weight right now to use "muscle recovery" as an excuse for drinking chocolate milk, so I'm just gonna go with "Hey, I like chocolate milk" and make it fit my cals/macros.

And back to the OP's original point, I agree with many others that gentle static stretches after cardio will probably help with your residual aches and pains. I've become a big fan of the free Youtube videos put out by Fitnessblender and they have tons of stretches you can try.
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt bath: gets magnesium into your body which helps muscle recovery. I've also heard cherry juice?
  • djs2303
    Options
    Thanks for the honest replies about the chocolate milk thing, and sorry OP if I derailed your thread. I don't think I really lift enough weight right now to use "muscle recovery" as an excuse for drinking chocolate milk, so I'm just gonna go with "Hey, I like chocolate milk" and make it fit my cals/macros.

And back to the OP's original point, I agree with many others that gentle static stretches after cardio will probably help with your residual aches and pains. I've become a big fan of the free Youtube videos put out by Fitnessblender and they have tons of stretches you can try.

Its cool, think were all here to help, support and advise each other and I did mention the chocolate milk :)

Is stretching recommended before exercise too? I just feel a numpty with all the slim-jims at the gym when their flexing their muscles and im flopping the flab :)
  • djpgrl28
    djpgrl28 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hot baths, ice packs, and heating pads help too