Gaining weight & side effects

Options
Hello,

I am brand new to these boards but I have come here to reset my goals and gain weight once and for all. I have been doing this throughout the past 5 years (well, about 2 months every year, then I get fed up). The thing is that now I pretend to keep this motivation on a long term basis and to actually reach my goals.

Just a bit about me. I am 1'93.5 (about 6ft 4") and at 63.5 kilos (140 lbs more or less). So as you can see, I am drastically thin for my height. This is truly the fault of genetics coming from both my parents and thus I must put in quite a bit of effort on my own accord in order to achieve any accomplishments. I am currently in the process of going to the gym 3 times a week and doing weights as well as eating as much as possible. I currently have myself divided with meals every three or so hours and besides breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I am filling up with whole milk, almonds, walnuts, fruits, etc.

Of course my body is not used to eating as much, so I feel buggered by the days end. Now someone asked me a question and it has been going through my head. Could there be any negative influence on the body seeing as I am out of a sudden injecting an unforeseen amount of food? The liver or kidney?

Cheers for any information regarding this.

Replies

• OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, and here is why. I have gained between 65-75 lbs. in the past 2 years. You will more than likely find it harder to breathe, and feel your heart working overtime. It is better to put on mass slowly, to give your heart, and lungs, and brain time to adjust. Puting on mass too fast is a recipe for fat storage. Be good to your body, and it will reward you. I wish you the best brother, and do not ever give up on your dreams.
  • Bombacho
    Options
    Thank you for that prompt reply. I am guessing by the time and pounds gained, you were gaining approximately 2-3 lbs per month (well, quicker at first I would assume)?

Good to know, considering I am looking to gain just about the same amount. Though to be truthful, I fret I may not be that patient as to wait so long for these results. But I will keep at it :-)

One other question. I have always read (or heard) that one must drink quite a quantity of water (in particular when eating and exercising as I am). Is it possible to replace water with milk; considering its large amount of water already inhabiting the liquid? Thus I can just focus on consuming things which benefit in the weight gain.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just remember this. Alot of muscle volume has to do with water intake. Milk in all of its forms will eventually do some damage to your muscular striation, seperation, or "tone" is what they call it now. There is a big debate going around the meathead and BRO community that milk will "thicken" the skin. For me personally, it does. For you ? Well you just have to find out for yourself. I have been taking in high ammounts of protein, carbs, and fats for a long period of time. I have never had any liver enzyme or toxicity issues or kidney problems for that matter. You do not really hear about obese people with liver or kidney problems due to overeating. You do however hear about heart, blood sugar (diabetes) and breathing problems (lungs). Does water really "flush" the system ? It certainly has an effect on Creatinine levels (not creatine) which is a good indicator that your kidneys are functioning properly. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Do not give up. You can win a short , fast race or you can pace yourself and win an entire marathon.
  • Bombacho
    Options
    cheers for your very detailed response!

I have another question about milk now, but I shall create a secondary topic in order to leave it there on the clear view.

Cheers again!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that prompt reply. I am guessing by the time and pounds gained, you were gaining approximately 2-3 lbs per month (well, quicker at first I would assume)?

Good to know, considering I am looking to gain just about the same amount. Though to be truthful, I fret I may not be that patient as to wait so long for these results. But I will keep at it :-)

One other question. I have always read (or heard) that one must drink quite a quantity of water (in particular when eating and exercising as I am). Is it possible to replace water with milk; considering its large amount of water already inhabiting the liquid? Thus I can just focus on consuming things which benefit in the weight gain.

Trying to push gains past a reasonable amount (say, 2-5lbs/month) is mostly going to result in body fat gains, not muscular gains. So slow and steady is really key unless you want to spend considerable time cutting all the excess fat after your bulk.

I don't see any problem with drinking milk for hydration. You can get hydration from lots of things. Most fruits are very high in water content for a random example.