Natural Peanut Butter vs. Regular?

Options
Hey ya'll,

So I LOVE peanut butter and I've been eating a lot of it for protein. I bought some natural peanut butter and have been eating it for 2ish months (I log it as regular peanut butter, in case any of you have seen my food diary) and I'm wondering if there are really any health benefits aside from the fact that it doesn't have preservatives?

It has as many calories, it tastes half as good, and it's more expensive! I know that preservatives aren't good in any food, and I'm all for jumping on the all-natural train, but I haven't noticed a change in how soon I get hungry and my weight didn't drop significantly after switching. Can I just buy regular? Do you think it really matters?

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just buy regular if you prefer it. Life is too short to force yourself to eat a subpar (to your taste buds) food in favor of what you enjoy more.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    If you prefer it, regular. You can eat anything as long as you moderate. I even recommend you to blend your own peanut butter! I've been making my own almond butter lately and can tweak the flavors any way I want (and it's all natural). :flowerforyou:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just buy regular if you prefer it. Life is too short to force yourself to eat a subpar (to your taste buds) food in favor of what you enjoy more.

Agreed as long as you don't need to watch sodium. And the natural is SOOO good. You might end up loving it!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you prefer it, regular. You can eat anything as long as you moderate. I even recommend you to blend your own peanut butter! I've been making my own almond butter lately and can tweak the flavors any way I want (and it's all natural). :flowerforyou:

Is it easy to make your own?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll,

So I LOVE peanut butter and I've been eating a lot of it for protein. I bought some natural peanut butter and have been eating it for 2ish months (I log it as regular peanut butter, in case any of you have seen my food diary) and I'm wondering if there are really any health benefits aside from the fact that it doesn't have preservatives?

It has as many calories, it tastes half as good, and it's more expensive! I know that preservatives aren't good in any food, and I'm all for jumping on the all-natural train, but I haven't noticed a change in how soon I get hungry and my weight didn't drop significantly after switching. Can I just buy regular? Do you think it really matters?
    Totally depends on who you ask what answer you will get.

I eat Skippy Natural. It does have added sugar and salt, but it's still pretty low. I eat it mostly because it is the best-tasting PB I have ever tried (and yes, it is BETTER than the Jiff!).
  • kstand0053
    kstand0053 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Meh, I started out with Natural PB when I first started my weight loss journey, but I didn't really like the taste. I switched back to regular. Whatever! My trainer says its ok, and I've lost 29 pounds since Oct. so I say do what you want!
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Holy crap that sounds great! Do you have a link you could post with your method of making your own? I LOVE that idea!
  • Hansonian
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping you would say something along those lines! :)
  • Hansonian
    Options

I eat Skippy Natural. It does have added sugar and salt, but it's still pretty low. I eat it mostly because it is the best-tasting PB I have ever tried (and yes, it is BETTER than the Jiff!).

I'm going to try Skippy Natural! I've been eating the Smucker's Natural and it's just... meh. Thanks!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm going to try Skippy Natural! I've been eating the Smucker's Natural and it's just... meh. Thanks!
    I haven't tried the Smuckers. I just really love the Skippy. lol If you prefer something else, though, eat something else.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Tried the NP and didn't like the taste. I think I'm a regular girl for life. I love, love, love my peanut butter. Yum! Just eat the kind you best enjoy.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Try Earth Balance peanutbutter, it tastes just like regular commercial peanutbutter and also has some flax oil added for extra health benefits. You don't have to mix it, either...that's my biggest pet peave about organic/natural peanutbutters...kind of a pain.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Hey ya'll,

It sounds like the OP is using the natural kind ( the one that separates). The Skippy Natural is a good middle ground between that and regular peanut butter, with more of a peanut taste and without the consistency issues that bother some people.

You can also make your own peanut or almond butter fairly easily, and add a bit of honey if you like for better consistency.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options

Holy crap that sounds great! Do you have a link you could post with your method of making your own? I LOVE that idea!
    All you need are nuts, a blender, and some time!

For my almond butter:

I pour two to three cups of almonds in the blender, set in on grind for 10-15 minutes. The almonds first become a fine ground dust, but around the ten-minute mark, the almonds secrete an oil that slowly makes the creamy, smooth texture of a nut butter. I put some sea-salt and honey in mine to flavor it. :love:

Here's the link I used, in case you want more description: http://detoxinista.com/2012/09/how-to-make-homemade-almond-butter/

I'm sure the process is the same for all nut butters, including peanut butter. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    To make peanut butter:

Roast peanuts (or buy roasted peanuts to save a step.)

Toss them in a food processor.

Crush 'em.

Add peanut oil to get the desired consistency.

Eat.
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "normal" PB is full of crap: preservatives, sugar, extra oil etc. All you need to make PB are roated peanuts. That is what natural PB is: roasted peanuts and salt. I think it tastes more natural and better and is healthier. You shouldn't stuff yourself with extra sugar and oil if you're eating the PB for protein
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "normal" PB is full of crap: preservatives, sugar, extra oil etc. All you need to make PB are roated peanuts. That is what natural PB is: roasted peanuts and salt. I think it tastes more natural and better and is healthier. You shouldn't stuff yourself with extra sugar and oil if you're eating the PB for protein

False. Peanuts don't have enough oil on their own to make a smooth butter. Even natural peanut butters will add extra peanut oil to get the consistency.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options

For my almond butter:

I pour two to three cups of almonds in the blender, set in on grind for 10-15 minutes. The almonds first become a fine ground dust, but around the ten-minute mark, the almonds secrete an oil that slowly makes the creamy, smooth texture of a nut butter. I put some sea-salt and honey in mine to flavor it. :love:

Here's the link I used, in case you want more description: http://detoxinista.com/2012/09/how-to-make-homemade-almond-butter/

I'm sure the process is the same for all nut butters, including peanut butter. :)

Thank you for posting your recipe and the link! Definitely going to make it. Going to search for Nutella substitute as well since my son loves it!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I find commercial Peanut butter too sweet for my tastes, I grind my own at a bulk store from unsalted peanuts (or occasionally grind almond butter) ,. Commercial Peanut Butter is also less protein and more fat (both are more of a fat source than a good protein source IMO) fresh ground 100 cal per TBSP and 3 mg Sodium, Skippy Natural 90 cal and 70mg Sodium Jiffy 95 and 70....So you will want to have more water if you opt for the processed
  • Hansonian
    Options

For my almond butter:

I'm going to the store to buy the stuff I need for it this weekend! Thank you! :)